Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster here :)

Anyways, I just got my 02' zx6r about 2 months ago, and have slowly been going through the fixup process. the other day i was riding and a bunch of people kept telling me my tail light was out. The tail lights dont seem to light up, but the brake and turn signals in the back work..

Just to be safe I replaced the bulbs, but the running lights still dont come on while the green machine is running. I checked the fuses and all were well. The only thing that seems out of place is a goofy looking little wirepack that has a bunch of wires coming out of it. I i can find my camera, Ill put a picture here.

It seems like the previous owner changed the stock taillight with something special, but in the process broke the running lights. Upon closer inspection of the wiring he did, I noticed he must have cut some wires or something to fit the odd little wire box there. The wiring diagrams show that there should be 3 wires coming from the light sockets, but there are only 2.

If anyone can offer me any help with this, or has a picture of the stock zx6r tailight wiring, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks boys n girls! RIDE SAFE!

-Erik

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a very good question. When I had to replace the bulbs, the old ones looked like they had 3 filaments in them. There was a main filament, and another one of the same size that was divided in two.. so a total of 3 filaments.

One of those 2-sections had burned out in the bulb, so i bought new ones which look like they only have 2 filaments in em.

The odd thing though is that I still had one bulb that had the 3 filaments in it. I put it into both of those light sockets and neither of them would light up when the bike was running. I'm thinking tomorrow I will try it again, because there was a fuse that looked kinda worn -- which i replaced.

I will try again tomorrow. Also, only 1 of the two brown wires appears to be connected to one of the sockets... Retarded..

-Erik

·
Registered
228 Posts
a bike that age, the lights will go out with the switch, get a multimeter and check which wire goes live when the lights are turned on is about the easiest way, or have a auto electrician have a look if your not sure or dont have the tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.