Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feel like recently my bike has been running hotter. bought the bike used and don't know when the last time the coolant has been flushed but thought i'd just ride it out. today for the first time in a while i was stuck in some crazy traffic. the bike got up to 230 degrees, and before i don't remember it going where past 218. could that have been the traffic i was in?

also when is the fan supposed to come on for 2004 zx6r? i notice that it goes on at around 22x degrees. but it doesn't stay on. turns on for a little bit, maybe about five seconds then turns off. i notice the fan coming on when i turn the bike off, and at that time its usually up at 22x degrees.

could it be time for me to get the coolant flushed? maybe hook up a switch for the fan?

·
Registered
260 Posts
First- I don't think there is a serious problem. Our bikes run hot in traffic. It seems like the fan is doing its job. It kicks on- cools the bike- shuts off- repeats. If the motor gets TOO hot(I believe this in the 240's) the gauge will start flashing "HOT" and thats when you have a problem. The fan turns on when the bike shuts off because when you shut the bike off, you stop circulating coolant because the water pump stops. This makes the bike temp rise, usually causing the fan to kick on for a bit to cool it back down.

That being said, If you don't remember the last coolant flush its probably time to do one. It will only help the situation as long as its done correctly(don't forget to burp the air out after refilling). Do NOT add a fan switch. The fan is not meant to run for extended amounts of time and it will only cause excessive wear and tear on your fan.

·
Registered
519 Posts
These bikes run hot. Look at my mod list, i still jump to 230 in stop and go traffic and thats on a 60 degree day. If it does bother you, you can buy a mod that kicks the fan on earlier which helps tremendously, and throw on a 2002-2005 GSXR 6 or 750 fan (direct swap, moves more air) and if thats still not enough you CAN make a 2nd fan fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts