Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 6R temp climbs very fast when stopped. Driving it is fine.

At a long stop light or in traffic it exceeds 225 F.

Is this normal for these bikes?

I checked the fan and for air in the system. Everything looks good.

While it has been very hot out my gixxer never exceeded 223F even in blazing hot weather and traffic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine hits around 225-227 in heavy traffic. Never seen it past 230 so i use that as the oh shit line not to pass. If your in heavy enough traffic just shut the bike off and roll forward.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i don't see how shutting off helps, for when you are waiting in traffic the engine is still going to be hot when it's shut off. so i don't shut mine off..but i never goes up taht high. the highest i have gone was 220, and the fan will just cool it down a bit. i have even thought of taking off my farings..*sigh*.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My fan kicks on at 100 C (212 F) usually sticks somewheres around there. Of course I don't get the heat around here like you guys do. Humidity plays a big part as well when you are talking cooling. I would start to get concerned at anything over 230 F.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i was going to ask the same thing. i have noticed mine getting up there. i know my fan works because i can see it running when i turn the bike off but i dont hear it kicking in when im on the bike. i have seen my temp get up as high as about 240 when i turned the bike off. i could be wrong but i would think that turning the bike off would not help at all. if anything i think it might make it worse. you will get heat soak. the coolant system wont be flowing anymore so all the hot coolant will be stuck in the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I only turn the bike off in HEAVY traffic. No need to waste fuel and let the engine run hot as hell for 20-30 min in bumper to bumper.....Garden State Parkway always seems to get backed up forever when i take the bike out and when im in the car it flows just fine =(

·
Registered
75 Posts
i was riding the other day with a couple of people and this dude with some orange bike with an extended swing arm blows past us trying to show off or get us to chase him started splitting traffic and a car was switching lanes and almost turned him into paste..thanks to that guy we who were riding safely looked like idiots...so as for me, hell no... ill open it up when there's a long stretch of open road no where near the death machines (cars)

·
Registered
75 Posts
oh and when i was reading the book i believe, dont quote me on this, but the highest temp you should reach is 220f im almost positive

·
Registered
144 Posts
my bike usually runs at 218 max temp in heavy traffic. fan kicks on around 216 it seems. I can hear it kick on. Only once my bike got to 223f when i was doing a burnout the other day, and it was already warm and 90degrees out with alot of humidity. I drove it down the street afterwards and it cooled right back off to 200.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i rode for about 4 hours today after work and it was about 96-97 degree outside and humidity was pretty probably high. riding down the road it was staying around 180 but when i would stop it would climb very quickly. when i would sit for too long it would get up to high 220's. i shut it off and it would get into the 230s and even got to 241 once. when it went about 240 the temp started flashing. i think im going to have to put a switch on my fan or something so i can keep it running because it stops running while the bike is still climbing in temp. does anyone know any good steps to take to keep this type of thing from happening?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nothing you can really do...setting up a switch is gonna be a pain in the ass...would have to splice into wires and then find a place to mount the switch. If you live in a hot and humid place theres isnt much you can do. Just try and avoid traffic if you can.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i'm putting in some royal purple "purple ice" pretty soon. I've had the bottle sitting here just haven't poored any in. But i've always ran it in all my turbo cars to keep the temps stable and it seems to perform well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How about one of the high performance air filters?? Also I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere about the 07-zx-6r preparing to have a larger radiator available.. any info on that? That should help right

·
Registered
144 Posts
guys don't forget that 220degrees is about normal in the heat range for a 4 cylinder motor. 185 is usually operating temp on your common 4 cylinder as well.

i think also our temp gauges are just pretty accurate, where as most others read 10 or so degrees off or won't go up all the way till a certain temperature

though 220 is high, aslong as you don't sit there for like a half an hour at that temp, it should be fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about one of the high performance air filters?? Also I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere about the 07-zx-6r preparing to have a larger radiator available.. any info on that? That should help right
Yes Kawi offers an aftermarket radiator for race use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my bike usually runs at 218 max temp in heavy traffic. fan kicks on around 216 it seems. I can hear it kick on. Only once my bike got to 223f when i was doing a burnout the other day, and it was already warm and 90degrees out with alot of humidity. I drove it down the street afterwards and it cooled right back off to 200.

My 07 hasn't gone above 218 degrees too. even on a 95degree humid day sitting in new jersey traffic.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts