Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the next of my questions relates to starting my bike. I moved somewhere in a slightly colder climate, I think it has similar humidity. Ever since I moved, and coincidentally the weather also cooled down, my bike takes forever to warm up. I just got the bike during the summer, so this is my only experience with it in the winter. It's not that cold, low in 40s and high in 60s is about as low as it gets. The bike starts right up with some choke, then I take the choke off and let it idle for a good 5-10 minutes. The temperature comes up fine, and it sounds like it is idling perfectly. However, when i get on, throw it in gear, and try to go, it dies. Even if I try to ride it out with the revs higher, it still dies. Usually if I keep warming it up more, and rev it up really high a few times, it'll let me go. Today, it wouldn't. I've checked the kickstand switch, and it runs amazing as always once I get it going the first time. Anybody have suggestions? I'm not particularly savvy with carburated machines, and most of my buddies have FI bikes or KLR's that warm up right away. Thanks in advance,

--Ryan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I noticed a little gas around the keyhole of the tank cap, under the flap but on top of the keyhole, that doesn't seem right to me, is the seal bad or something? I haven't filled up recently either.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Is the oil the right grade for the local temperature?

i.e. does the clutch drag a lot.

Injector cleaner might help if the pilot jets have become partially clogged up, which would affect slow running.

I normally spray WD40 in the locks to keep them working properly. Sure that it's fuel & not old oil or similar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the kickstand switch again, and even though i found it moving earlier, it sticks, and moves rather slowly, and about halfway most of the time. Is this a WD-40 problem, or can I just disconnect the switch or take it apart and clean it or something? Oh well, I guess some injector cleaner can't hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure you open up the fuel tank just to let the tank breathe before you start her, and then start her up. did you check ur idle revs? spray some WD-40(or similar) on the kickstand switch, and clutch cable. what grade oil do u use anyway? have in mind that every once in a while it's good to let the engine stretch it's legs(open her up a bit on the highway. short bursts of speed). what kind of riding do u do? short rides to work and back? the next best thing is some injector cleaners to clear the baby's throat ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts