Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the front sprocket if the rear wheel is off? I was replacing my rear sprocket and chain before I pulled the front off and the front needs to be replaced. I don't know much about working on bikes but I do know cars so please forgive me.

· Premium Member
2,724 Posts
If yours is on as tight as mine was, just putting it in gear won't be enough. Throw the rear tire back on and slide the chain onto it. The chain can just lay over the 2 sprockets without the master link on.

Just so that as you turn the front, it wants to turn the back wheel as well.

Put it in gear, have someone step on the rear break. That should stop it enough for you to get the nut out.

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Or you can get a wooden bar/crow bar type and put this through the spokes of the back wheel after you put the wheel and chain on.

It takes a lot to get the front sprocket off. I was working with Ksouc77 on getting the front sprocket off before and we were lifting the bike up trying to get it off. Just keep prying at it but you will also need a cheater bar.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If yours is on as tight as mine was, just putting it in gear won't be enough. Throw the rear tire back on and slide the chain onto it. The chain can just lay over the 2 sprockets without the master link on.

Just so that as you turn the front, it wants to turn the back wheel as well.

Put it in gear, have someone step on the rear break. That should stop it enough for you to get the nut out.
Ill have to give that a shot as I am going back to stock with regards to the teeth

11,772 Posts
Or you can get a wooden bar/crow bar type and put this through the spokes of the back wheel after you put the wheel and chain on.

It takes a lot to get the front sprocket off. I was working with Ksouc77 on getting the front sprocket off before and we were lifting the bike up trying to get it off. Just keep prying at it but you will also need a cheater bar.
That's how I did it. Except I used an impact, as well.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
That isn't reverse threaded is it?

· Registered
6,392 Posts
here's my secret weapon. It's strong. It's soft plastic coated. It's just the right size. Stick it through the rim spokes and resting on the swing arm or frame. Now loosen that countershaft nut. Most of have one of these somewhere in the junk room or maybe in the truck or car. You will still need at least an 18" breaker bar. A longer extension would be even better. Try it. It might work for you.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Just a heavy duty impact should do it in a matter of seconds. I am guessing you are trying to use a wrench though? If so everyone had a decent answer

· Premium Member
2,724 Posts
If it's not, just get a long tube and stick it on the handle of your ratchet.

I couldn't get mine off with the impact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.