Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys and girls, it appears I may be making a trip out west to California. I have a stop I need to make in Hollbrook county AZ for some court stuff, but end the trip in Lancaster California. So anyone willing to lend a couch for a fellow ZXF'er I would greatly appreciate it. My route will be I-10 for the most part till I get to AZ, then I'll head north on I-25 to catch I-40 west to Cali.

I plan to leave in a couple of weeks if my plan for tomorrow does not work. I will keep everyone posted on my trip as to when I will leave, and also to my whereabouts during my ride. Iron butt eat your heart out!!!

Now keep in mind I am making this trip on an 89 zx7. The same one that has given me carb issues since I had it running. Here is what I plan to do to the bike before I take off..

Oil change tomorrow.
Valves
Tires are new so I'll be checking pressures before I take off in the morning
plugs are new
chain and sprockets are good
and make sure my steering head bearings are in good shape.
If there is anything else I should check for let me know.

I'll be bringing a tool kit
oil
tire plugs/can 'o air
and some other odds and ends.

Will wear full leathers with gloves and of course my helmet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Seat comfort

You may want to stop at walmart and grab an atv seat pad. It sounds stupid but it will help so much you not believe it. This is very cheap and an ass saver seriously. Next you really should wire up an auxiliary power outlet for charging cell phone\ipod ect. You are going to need some serious music also. May i suggest temple of the dog, Tool, And maybe some Bush or nirvana!

Edit: for got the pic of the cheap seat cover

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
I25 is in new Mexico. I am off the 10 in AZ if you follow it that far.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So it appears you are right Diesled. I will be headed north via I-25 out of Las Cruces NM, then I-40 west into Navajo AZ. Then out to California. I will hit Mullholland Dr. whiles I'm there.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Christi, after 2731 miles, its only another 1135 or so to Washington State.. :smile

Shit, ya just HAVE TO do the 101 Coast run, its a must!!!

We have VOLCANOES & MOUNTAINS, that you simply MUST see....

If you decide to take the plunge, Im sure that I can meet you in Oregon, Grants Pass or Redding, Cali.....but 101 up the coast of Cali is a dream ride.... u wont regret it... and Oregons coast is equally amazing

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the power outlet I have. Just need to install it. Can't have my phone going dead on the road.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blain I was thinking about that ride too, but I am on limited funds. If I can do it I'll try but not promises.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
When you've completed the trip I'm sure it'll be a huge adventure. Best of luck to you.

I've done some really stupid long trips, but I don't think I'm up to what you're planning. I'd beg, steal or borrow to get SWA airfare to/from Phoenix and rent a car from there for the out and back to California. Can't be much more than what you'll spend in fuel and tires, without the potential hazards of a breakdown. Probably less when you factor in lost wages from the days spent droning across the country both ways.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here is my power outlet

This is one i have wired up on my klr650.

I get out in the middle of no place\ no where Solo a lot.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I should find one like that but all I have right now is a replacement car socket. No big deal as I can just tape it up and go from there.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot I also need to bleed the brakes again with the right fluid this time. And the clutch fluid.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I always wash the bike a day or 2 before because it puts me eye-level with it so anything needing attention will jump out.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well in order for me to do an oil change on my bike I have to take the whole thing apart fr the most part so I'll see a bunch of things in there.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks EZ I appreciate it. I may take you up on that. At least stop by and say hi!

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Be careful if you don't leave for a couple weeks. We just started getting into the low 100s this week.
I'll be in Vegas till may 24th. After that you can stay as long as you like.
Just don't be like RR and drink all my beer.:angry

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah I don't drink that often. Worst thing I'd do is help you work on the bike LOL

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL I'd like to see that hehe

1 - 20 of 119 Posts