Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone in Florida, and those who knew him. Justin Carpenter passed away this Sunday in a horrific motorcycle accident. Now I didn't know him personally, but have many friends that did, and where good friends with him. He was a great guy, and lived to help others over himself. Justin was a stunt rider and was very safe, and talented in what he did. Justin was the type of person, that when a friend of mine broke her leg in three places during a low speed low side, He put together a bike wash and gave her all the proceeds to help her out.

He was traveling home on US 41 headed North around 8:30PM at around 55MPH, when a woman in a late model Monte Carlo, turned left headed south in his path. he didn't even have time to react. He hit her car on the passenger side, and was killed instantly. Thank God he didn't suffer. The woman from Michigan, received no tickets, no court dates or anything for reckless endangerment of a motorcyclist or anything else.

My prayers go out to his family and friends, and there will be a memorial ride for him. As soon as I find out when I will post here for those who wish to join the ride.

I'm not sure if I should feel lucky, or like maybe we should have kept riding to add to the visibility, but two friends and I were coming back from an Easter ride at the same time Justin crashed. Had we kept riding either we wold have seen the wreck, been part of it, or saved his life by letting the woman who hit him know we were there. At least we would have been there to try and help a fellow rider whether or not is was futile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I didn't know him but seeing as how I'm from that EXACT area and have a lot of friends there, its all over my FB... RIP justin. :'(

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
RIP....
The exact same accident is what got me last year, but at a little lower speed. I am lucky to be here. Prayers and condolences go out to his family..... it's tough to deal with something like this. I hope the driver had insurance of some kind to compensate the family for some of the loss (even though money can never replace a human). it would take the burden of funeral and medical expenses away.
They make traffic 'accidents' like this a crime..... the driver should be brought up on charges of involuntary manslaughter.
So very sorry to hear of a senseless loss like this. :(

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Its always sad to hear shit like this last year the son of my moms cousin got dead in a bike crash, he rode a zx6r, Ive been lucky and a big part of the reason Im still around is my gear, I will never ride without it even if I was not in the military, same as seatbelts I never really thought about them for safety until the military started engraving it in my head, before it was more about keeping me in my seat when taking some sharp turns, it is easier to concentrate on the drive when you dont have to fight as hard to stay in the seat...

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
:angry Sad news. I hate having to read story after story about the aftermath of careless cager actions. If they can't prove that he was speeding they should take the lady to a crash-test site, strap her to a motorcycle, and launch her at her own car to see how she fares. Call it justice.

I can't believe the lady got off scott free... I hope the family fights that!
+1

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
I can't believe the lady got off scott free... I hope the family fights that!
What do you expect to happen to the lady? Go to jail for life? Does Florida have capital punishment, can they give her the chair?

Its a tragedy for sure and I am not trying to take away from that but its not like the lady had intent to kill the guy. She obviously miss judged his speed or didn't see him or was simply being a careless driver.

Accidents happen all the time on the road, that's the risk you accept when you travel on them. Despite getting off "scott free" legally speaking, the fact that she caused the death of another human being can't be easy to deal with.

People make careless driving decisions, hit and kill other car drivers all the time. They aren't charged unless they are DUI either and this is no different. The people here are picking up torches and pitchforks and ragging on this lady simply because the guy happened to be on a motorcycle. I wonder if I was to go over to car forums to see if they post threads about a motorcycle rider who lost control and crashed into a car and killed the driver and how that motorcyclist should be sent to jail. :rolleyes

On top of all this, the reports don't say if he was wearing a helmet and I am interested in reading the full report. They just say he was launched from his bike and died at the scene. That sounds quite like severe head trauma as cause of death. If he wasn't wearing a helmet I am willing to bet this thread would have a much different tone and we'd be knocking on him instead of her.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
What do you expect to happen to the lady? Go to jail for life? Does Florida have capital punishment, can they give her the chair?
Its a tragedy for sure and I am not trying to take away from that but its not like the lady had intent to kill the guy. She obviously miss judged his speed or didn't see him or was simply being a careless driver.
Yes, the lady may have made a mistake. In some cases I think the ruling should be situational. If the person was obviously being careless, ignorant, or impatient and took the life of another person I believe they should be held accountable. If only the person who was killed could be there to plead their case, could you imagine? Everything that they were, or would have been, was taken from them.

If someone sets up a target on the side of their neighbor's house and begins shooting at it, are they being careless? Yes. Will they kill someone? Maybe, maybe not... But if they do they should be judged accordingly. Not as someone who accidentally killed someone (as though the gun went off on its own) but as someone who deliberately disregarded the safety of others and placed their own wants and needs first.

If he wasn't wearing a helmet I am willing to bet this thread would have a much different tone and we'd be knocking on him instead of her.
Agreed. I would like to read a full report as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The family can file a wrongful death lawsuit and sue her ass off! There needs to be accountability for killing someone. I would get a good lawyer and sue her and the insurance company for as much as i could get out of them.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I've been to florida once and I gotta admit the driver over there are not nice lol, I had some douche try to push me into oncoming traffic because he wanted to be in my lane, it was almost as bad as driving in puerto rico, where everyone's mind set when driving is "it's My road and you're in it, so moooove!", over here you have people being retarded but at least they know when they fuck up, and most are courteous to other drivers, the one thing that is bad here is the illegal/uninsured drivers, so full coverage is a must if you have a decent vehicle

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He was wearing a helmet. No other gear though. I'll see if I can get a copy of the full report. I'll post it here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No one wins in any of this... she's gonna live w/the fact she is responsible for the death of another individual for the rest of her life. And even worse - his friends and family loose a piece of their life that will never be replaced.

Very Sad...

R.I.P.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and to answer the question. Justin ALWAYS wore his helmet. He was a skilled rider and never drank a drop if he was ridin. But I just found out the woman got cited for "failing to yield the right of way"......

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Oh and to answer the question. Justin ALWAYS wore his helmet. He was a skilled rider and never drank a drop if he was ridin. But I just found out the woman got cited for "failing to yield the right of way"......
Which is all she did. And actually, had he lived she would have to pay for his bike and medical bills.

As rude as it is to say it, she lucked out.

Doesn't mean she should go to prison or anything for it, but she does have to live with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been to florida once and I gotta admit the driver over there are not nice lol, I had some douche try to push me into oncoming traffic because he wanted to be in my lane, it was almost as bad as driving in puerto rico, where everyone's mind set when driving is "it's My road and you're in it, so moooove!", over here you have people being retarded but at least they know when they fuck up, and most are courteous to other drivers, the one thing that is bad here is the illegal/uninsured drivers, so full coverage is a must if you have a decent vehicle
Welcome to Fla!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Red I'll be heading up to Zephyr Hills today if youre around. Look for a black and white zx7 with purple leds.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Sorry to hear about this..............I really have no comment that others haven't made..........the lady who was in the cage has to live with it the rest of her life, which in and of itself is a pretty heavy burden.....doesn't make it suck any less.

Live every day to the fullest, you never know when your numbers up! Believe me, I know all too well and have managed to cheat death (health reasons).......and feel lucky to be here each and every day, I should be already in the ground and long gone. Carpe Diem.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here Here Chuckus. Hey I'll be at Evil7Twins place tonight and then on to Quaker State. Meet up if you want.

·
Registered
517 Posts
R.I.P. Justin. May heaven be filled with clean, smooth pavement and great curvy roads. Bikes with sticky tires and never need gas. The scenery will be the best!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts