Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice when I do a lot of motorycle riding, especially a few hundred miles everyday for a week, my right wrist gets really sore. All joking aside, what causes this?

Is it the angle of the bars? Bad riding habits? What is it??

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would say that it is from leaving your wrist in virtually one position for extended periods of time, with vibration running through it.

You really don't rotate your wrist on the throttle, but rather hold it in one position with only slight variation. That and your wrist muscles, and tendons are in a constant state of flexion.

I have noticed this moreso on my left wrist since the accident. Holding it literally in one position, only moving it slightly to push steer into left turns, and it is incredibly sore and seeing as it's already injured, keeps swelling up.

So, with a healthy wrist you are still getting this irritation, I just seem to notice it more because mine isn't recovered yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on the computer all day at work and do a lot of gaming as well. I notice the same thing after way too much time on the mouse or a long ride. I think Swoosh is pretty much correct with having your hand in one position with vibration or repetative movements (that does sound bad). Just keep riding and it will go away!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Problem with clip-on bars is too much weight is transferred on to wrists.

In the old days of naked sports bikes we relied on the wind pressure at speed to keep the weight off wrists. The Jota was a real pain around town but no prob on the open road. Spend less time posing & more time riding the twisties or get a 500 twin for commuting - they come in green with Ninja stickers in North America. :grin

Those spring hand grips help build those wrist muscles up as does training with weights. Also press-up & crunches if you're not into weights. Good abs help to support the upper body.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I find that if i get the pain in my wrist, i just roll the throttle on with the thumb for a bit and dont actully hold the bar with my whole hand but just three fingers and that helps. Also when you are tucking below the screen roll the throttle and flatten your hand so that its not bent at the base of thr wrist pointing down. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
381 Posts
beansbaxter said:
I notice when I do a lot of motorycle riding, especially a few hundred miles everyday for a week, my right wrist gets really sore. All joking aside, what causes this?

Is it the angle of the bars? Bad riding habits? What is it??
I have a problem with my throttle hand going numb after about 30 minutes at one speed especially on the highway or freeway. One cure I use is to kick out the back pegs and prop my feet up on em and let the weight of my body rest on the tank, not on my wrist. That seems to help me out alot. Another trick is to take your left arm and cross it infront of you on the tank to ease the weight. Also on this subject have you ever thought of a throttle lock?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a throttle lock for the ZX-10R? Even if there is, I dont know how comfortable I would feel not being in complete control. Am I making too big of a deal about it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Comfort is something that you have to have and if a throttle lock is not it then dont get it.

I wont ride with one, its like cruise control on steroids and two wheels. Looking for trouble with that

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the exact same problem as DaveM2K and have used the same solutions he talked about for for the past 13 or so years. It's not a cure but it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
relax your arms. You might be clinching the bars too tight without realising it. I know I do that once in a while. Hold the bike with your legs and simply let your arms loose. It'll help out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beans
I had some of the same issues on my ZX6. Found that it was a combination of bar angle and my short arms. Places a lot of weight on my wrist. I swapped the stock bars for some fully adjustably bars from Two Brothers racing. A bit expensive but has helped a lot. Now can do six or seven hours with no problems. I also agree with Daso, if you ride with a tight grip it will lead to arm pump and soreness

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alot of the problem i have is with the grips on my bikes. Beans, the 12 KILLED my wrist for DAYS after Sheri and I did the Diablo run (9+ hours). With my old ZX, i had the tourmaster grips that were FAT. they looked a bit odd but they more evenly spread the pressure around. I know with my big hands, it hurts to have all that weight sitting on the toothpick of a grip that most sportbikes have. The middle of my throttle grip just gave out on the 12 a couple weeks ago. now i can twist the throttle 1/3 twist and give it NO gas. heheh :evil

·
Registered
381 Posts
here is a link to Throttle meister. I beleive this is the only company right now who makes a throttle lock for the 05 and up ZX models. I plan on buying one when I get back from this upcomming patrol. Ill let you know how it works out.
http://www.throttlemeister.com/tm.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard if your wrist or arms are hurting its because you are gripping too hard not letting the blood flow threw. If you squeeze the gas tank with your legs, you will release pressure off your arms. So just do that every so often while riding.

or you can take pills called pump x. I saw on tv, it lets more oxygen flow to the muscles so they dont cramp up.
http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/nutrition/pump-x.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts