Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed two scorpion slip-on cans, and while the left cools down fairly quick, the right smells and you could feel the heat pouring out the can's exit. Smoked a little as well. This was just after the first start and first 2 mile hard run of the bike. I hope its just the packing in the cans, but why are they both not equally as hot/smell? Does the right side(throttle side)run hotter? I had this issue on my 2002 Suzuki TLR1000, don't know if I should be worried?:eek:hno

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, forgot to mention, the exhaust pressure coming out of both cans while at idle and when bliping the throttle is equal from both pipes. no rough idle, no over temp.

·
Registered
262 Posts
was the sun shining on the right can the whole time? maybe the sun overheated it..:squint

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, no it was night time, like I said I hope its just the packing in the can, its just weird that only one side is doing this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed two brothers racing pipe slip ons and my right pipe was like it on fire after riding......but not the left one......dont know why it was like that.....this was on a 2012 model

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had 2 Bros slipons.I don't know if one was hotter then the other.The left side melted the edge of the plastic belly pan.Is it carbon fiber?They get hotter.But that wouldn't explain the difference.
Craig

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Does it sound ok?

Perhaps one pipe has a longer header or link pipe and that gives the exhaust more time to cool before hitting the can.

Assuming there is a crossover at some point so you aren't running 2 cyl into one side and 2 into the other and that is (never seen an exhaust that wasn't this way). The smoke and stuff is likely any packing stuff, like tape or string burning up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its stock headers on a 2008, the flow of the exhaust and the note it makes seems to be optimal. It must be okay, just worries you when you have a brand new bike and pipes. The exhaust gases coming out when the bike is running seems to be the same (as well as the force at which it come out). Its when I shut off the bike that I notice the heat bellowing out of the right (throttle side) side can and not the left.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I thought minevwas like that one time but after time it appeared to be normal. I would keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pressure is the culprit

What you have here is a physics/Chemistry problem! Pressure follows the path of least resistance. That being said the higher the pressure the hotter something gets. So on one can you have little or no heat good. On the other side you have a restriction that is causing a higher pressure with a higher heat or energy being released through a higher amount of pressure. I would take the can off and look for a restriction. It should not be like that and that is not normal!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
^^^^^ he might be right but my pipes you can look straight into. And that being said my throttle hand must have cleared out the blockage. At redline pressure blows out everything. Lmao. Getter dun!!!!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
are you trying to join a MC?
We had 3 levels of non-officer ranks in a club I belonged to.
First level and scum of the earth was the "Muffler Sniffer" Have you been sniffing your muffler?

second low life level was prospect. A prospect had to whatever another member wanted for about 3 to 6 months. This hazing wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of get me something to drink prospect. Make it quick prospect. Follow my tail light. Don't fall behind. Keep it close.

Finally after about 6 club sponsored rides, a prospect was considered for membership and ALLOWED to pay dues, wear the patch/colors and vote on club business. At the next monthly meeting, the prospect was told to go outside. Then the members voted on letting the member become a member. What a racket. I lasted a year. Way too much bullcrap. We even elected our resident cop as president once. That was a big mistake. the office really went to this guy's head.

He got taken down a notch at the next trackday. The track manager advanced him to intermediate rider. He immediately went out and lowsided. I swear after the guy got back to our pit spot, he started tearing up and starting to cry. Kind of felt sorry for him. He only lasted a few months as Mr. Pres.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
are you trying to join a MC?
We had 3 levels of non-officer ranks in a club I belonged to.
First level and scum of the earth was the "Muffler Sniffer" Have you been sniffing your muffler?

second low life level was prospect. A prospect had to whatever another member wanted for about 3 to 6 months. This hazing wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of get me something to drink prospect. Make it quick prospect. Follow my tail light. Don't fall behind. Keep it close.

Finally after about 6 club sponsored rides, a prospect was considered for membership and ALLOWED to pay dues, wear the patch/colors and vote on club business. At the next monthly meeting, the prospect was told to go outside. Then the members voted on letting the member become a member. What a racket. I lasted a year. Way too much bullcrap. We even elected our resident cop as president once. That was a big mistake. the office really went to this guy's head.

He got taken down a notch at the next trackday. The track manager advanced him to intermediate rider. He immediately went out and lowsided. I swear after the guy got back to our pit spot, he started tearing up and starting to cry. Kind of felt sorry for him. He only lasted a few months as Mr. Pres.
I normally agree with most of your opinions ... But wtf are you talking about ? :headscratch

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Dat *****'s ramblin.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I'm entitled to have a senior (old fart) moment once in awhile.:lol
Fair enough , does this mean I get a "get out of flaming free card " for being nice ? :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
I'd be willing to be that if you removed the cans and disassembled them, there is an issue with the packing in the hot muffler that is allowing hot exhaust gases to go through the perforated inner tube and heat the pipe from the inside. Normally the only heat the outside of the can would get comes from the outside starting at the inlet. If there is a void in the packing, the exhaust gas is going through the perforations and cooking the edges of the void as it goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts