Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
are they better than gym shorts? yes :lol classic

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I use them every now and then. Kevlar jeans. I got the "Shift" brand for like 75 bucks on sportbiketrackgear. They are better than reg jeans. Other then that I also wear the Icon shin guards for added protection.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
i was gonna try getting a pair of those shift ones. do they feel like riding in normal jeans?

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
same ones i was looking at. a friend of mine had a pair of icons but they were like 200

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Those look like the ones I have, I just have the dark navy ones. They feel comfortable, but you can tell that they are a little thicker than normal jeans.

Also they usually have a leather strip on the bottom of the back of the legs so they don't rip and fray. Good investment if you would wear them instead of leathers to ride around with.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I have some Kevlar jeans, also have to the knee A* riding boots..........

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I've seen a set on the shelf and wasn't too impressed. The ones I saw were just re-enforced in the knees hips etc. No real padding or plastic inserts anywhere . Just my 2 cents .

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I have the Icon Victory jeans as well as a pair of Draggin jeans.

The Icon ones are nice because the Kevlar in them isn't ridiculously heavy and they have stretch panels. They're also long enough that they'll cover your boots when you are in your riding position... The downside is they may not have enough Kevlar to really help when you need it.

The Draggin jeans, on the other hand, are thick Kevlar and very heavy-duty feeling. They also cover your boot in a riding position... The downside is they get a little warm if you're not moving, which is to be expected. They're definitely not as warm as the burn you would feel from road rash though, if you know what I mean.

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen a set on the shelf and wasn't too impressed. The ones I saw were just re-enforced Omg the knees hips etc. No real padding or plastic inserts anywhere . Just my 2 cents .
I think they're just sposed to be casual gear. Not really anything for a track day but I guess how they put the kevlar in them would be the main thing.
Not sure if a $60 pair and a $120 pair would make much difference.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I think they're just sposed to be casual gear. Not really anything for a track day but I guess how they put the kevlar in them would be the main thing.
That is kind of why I just got the cheaper shift jeans for like 70 instead of payin 200. I mean if you are going to pay that much just save up a little more and get some leather pants like you already have. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Having played paintball for a number of years and spent thousands on gear, I can say with confidence that I would much rather be inside of a good quality pair of kevlar lined jeans than not at all.

I used to own (maybe I still do?) a 250 dollar pair of paintball pants with 5-6 layers of kevlar in the knees, outer thighs, and ass. Since I played at a local indoor field with a concrete floor, they got shit tons of abuse. A solid year of running and sliding as fast and as far as I could in those pants wore through the outer layer (not kevlar), the first layer of kevlar, and there was heavy abrasion on the second layer.

If they held up to that much abuse on semi-smooth concrete, I would bet a good quality pair could take a minor slide on the asphalt with minimal damage to your hide.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I know they are just for casual riding but I just left wondering how much real protection you would have if you really needed it . I guess regardless of cost this was my main concern because if they are not much better than jeans in an accident what's the point... I wonder if there are any good reviews on these?

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
If they held up to that much abuse on semi-smooth concrete, I would bet a good quality pair could take a minor slide on the asphalt with minimal damage to your hide.
+1

The inventor of Draggin jeans has a video on their web site of himself being drug behind a truck at decent speed wearing them. He literally put his ass on the line.

There are a bunch of other vids on YouTube:

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know they are just for casual riding but I just left wondering how much real protection you would have if you really needed it . I guess regardless of cost this was my main concern because if they are not much better than jeans in an accident what's the point... I wonder if there are any good reviews on these?
True. I'm not looking for all the inserts and pads. I think I commented wrong to your reply.
5 layers of kevlar? or leather pants? or just going for a ride and being comfortable knowing that you have something better then regular jeans.
I'm always for full gear. I've never worn kevlar so I'm not sure. I don't even know how heavy they would be.
These are the comments I was looking for. I'm a cheap bastard but I also don't mind spending $200 if it works.

·
Registered
888 Posts
alpinestars axiom is for me.

has the necessary kevlar protection and doesnt yell out riding jeans

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well EZ, I think I'm a little overconfident, because I love to ride in adidas jogging 365 clima. But you have to be a great safe rider.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts