Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on riding in the rain? I got caught in a rain storm on the Interstate the other day and it was getting progressively worse. I cranked it up to 80mph to try and beat the torential down pour that hit 10 minutes after i got home. Beat it out but now have been accused of being unsafe. Thoughts, Opinons??????

·
Registered
208 Posts
Were you in control of your motorcycle? How were traffic condition? Was it a freeway or out on a deserted, open country road? Only YOU know if it was dangerous or not. None of us were there, so our opinions mean nothing.

I've ridden in the rain dozens of times. Sometimes with all the appropriate rain gear, sometimes I got caught by mother nature off guard. NEVER dumped it in the wet however. Modern bikes and modern rain gear turn a rainy day into a FUN-DAY. Unzip and you're completely dry!! It's a blast, try it sometime. Be very aware of all applicable safety concerns though, slick painted and metal surfaces on the road surface, slippery oil path in the center of the lanes, first rain after a long dry period brings up all those accumulated oil drippings/spillages-and needs a couple hours of good downpour to wash it away. Wet is fun! Ride wet!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was well in control, the bike was hooking up fine and did not feel unstable or floaty. This was a freeway with traffic booking along, not overly crowded. I personaly don't mind riding in the rain.... it is kinda FUN. Obviously the extra precautions must be factored in... slower turns, more space between traffic, longer stopping distance........ We have been getting a lot of rain here in COLORADO so I felt like the roads were also free of oily debris and I wanted to ride my bike. Some people I know consider riding in the rain dangerous in and of itself. I disagree.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I feel that if there is not traffic then go for it because if you come off then there is no other person that gets hurt. I just make sure that i ride smooth and make all the safety precautions more pronounced in my mind but what you have said sounds cool to me

·
Registered
208 Posts
Then it's agreed! It's alright!

Many non-motorcycling cagers haven't a clue about several aspects of riding, including riding in the rain, obviously. As a result, their opinions don't matter. WE have experience in, and knowledge about the activity in question. So our views are actually relevant.

Maybe you could loan these people a DVD showing motorcycle ice racing way up north in the snow country, complete with studded tires, etc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always try to out run bad weather if I can, I think you are still in the scope of safe riding. Beats getting wet/cold/stiff~

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
riding in the rain will only make you a better rider when its dry..... go for it

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
bullshit it just gets you wet dumb ass:thefinger
bad clothing is what gets you wet....... riding fast in the wet takes skill and practice after that.... dry is a piece of piss

·
Registered
184 Posts
I rode in the rainy season in Monterey,Ca for 18 months,absolutely sucked.
It rained the day before I turned my bike in for the 500 mile service.So all the oil should have washed off the roads.
It rained the day I picked it up from the 500 mile service.The roads were starting to dry off.I pulled out of the parking lot and the down pore began.
I got on the highway and was floating at 60,and at 55 everybody was passing me and spraying me with their wash.It absolutely sucked!
I hate riding in the rain even with a rain suit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts