Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I wear a helmet, textile jacket, gloves, and non-riding boots every time I ride. After seeing several of my friends with permanently scarred knees, and all the pictures of nasty road rash and foot/ankle injuries, I'm really thinking about getting more protection for when I go into the twisties. I've been looking at 2-piece leathers, and found a pretty good deal. I'm just wondering what the word is on the other alternatives (riding jeans, textile pants, knee protectors, etc.). It seems like the reviews and stuff I found online say they don't really make that much of a difference, anybody have opinions on that? I don't ride on the track right now, but I might someday, probably not for a while though. I'm not really concerned with the effects of looking like an astronaut when I'm driving around, I'm just wondering if I get full leathers if I won't wear them as often as I should, but I feel like I should get some more protection for when we go ride hard once or twice a week. Thanks in advance for your help,

--Ryan

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've got two piece textile for winter & two piece leather for summer. I find the leathers more comfortable & a better fit than the textile & you don't sweat so much in the leather despite what they say about textile being breathable. For freezing winter conditions the textile keeps you warmer (thermal/reflective linings) without too many extra layers & drier without an oversuit. Both have extra knee, elbow & hip pads for added protection.

not been down the road to test abrasive qualities.

G

·
It might just be a sales tactic, but when I was looking into buying my gear they said that for higher speed highway riding leathers tended to be better because they would not break down as quickly against the pavement. Textiles, they said, tended to have more armor for less expencive price point and they said in the city since you are more likely to impact a curb or a car with your body textiles were the way to go.

Also be warned when textiles say that they are "kevlar" re-enforced. All this may mean is that 1 in 100 threads is Kevlar. I posted some pictures of my "rubber side up" experience (http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564)
I have/had a Joe Rocket Meteor textile jacket, the damage you see is from going over a sidewalk at 10 km/h or less.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Simple my man. Leather. If they use leather in GP then i use it on my bike. They slide at mad speeds and dont get cut up and we will never see those speeds in our riding but rather safe than sorry

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
cow and roo hide for sure, with padding and armor plus a damn fine set of boots.
Don't pinch pennies when it comes to your skin/bones.

And who gives a toss if it is hot ...... small price to pay for your own safety and a whole lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've been down in jeans, and I'll add ... You don't want to go there.

At 60mph, denim gets shredded and the asphalt turns it's sites on your skin. As if that isn't pretty enough, think about the time you get to spend with the pretty nurse... you know, the one that gets to spend 1/2 hour plus with those neat little scrub brushes, getting the dirt out of the wounds on your ass and legs.

Don't get me wrong, I still occassionally go out in jeans, but I don't go without leather jacket, gloves, and riding boots (helmet is a given).

I've been down wearing decent boots (Sidi B-ones) and the boots stood up amazingly. Burned right through the boot, but no damage to skin, or ankles. That was actually the sales guy's pitch on selling them.... "I crash a lot, and these boots stand up well". He's an instructor at a track, and whether crashing is part of his teaching, or it's just a hazard of the job, I'm not sure.

Two piece suit is a great choice IMHO as it allows you to decide to go all out, or half them and simply wear the jacket.

As I said, I do still ride in jeans occassionally, but if I know I'm hitting the highway, or we're out hitting it harder.... full leathers, boots, etc.

Also, my 10R throws mad heat from under the seat when it's hot out, and I am actually hotter in jeans than leather. The leather stops the heat from hitting my legs and ass, but rather it deflects off the leather, keeping me cooler.

Smart choice... I'm sure you'll be happy. Especially with the added confidence you get from knowing that IF you went down, you'll make out much better than in jeans.

As for textiles.... I don't really like em. view some pics of people who have their textile jackets permanently melted into their skin from a slide, and you'll see what I mean.

Safe riding to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have both leather and textile. The leather is very well ventilated with a zip out insulated liner, and is my primary gear spring through fall. The textile has a water tight inner liner as well as zip out insulated liner. Very warm and dry for winter use. Both are two piece suits that zip together at the waist. If you don’t ride much in the winter I would suggest leather. Several brands are good. I personal like Alpinestars for off the rack wear. If you have the money Bates custom leathers can’t be beat. I have a fifteen year old set that I love. If only I could still fit into them. This is just my opinion so take it for it worth, but most of all gear is good… use it when ever you ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts