Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading a few forums I found people saying the 95 zx7 can use a 04-05 zx10r rear chock with slight modification to the battery holder... well that is false.

The bottom mount width on the shock is too narrow for the bike. The bottom bolt had to be modified to go from 10 mm to 12 mm, but that wasnt the problem. The actual width of the shock mount was too narrow... and the material is already very thin, so you really cannot file it down to fit...

So, round two. Can anyone suggest a shock that will for the WIDTH of the mounts on my 95 zx7r? I don't mind modifying the battery box, or widening a bolt hole... but the width atleast needs to be same for the bottom shock mount... anyone?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I didn't have to anything other than drill out the bottom holes to 12 mm and raise the tray.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Are you sure you have a 10R shock? Here is a shot of mine, 10R shock with 7 rocker...

Josh

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure you have a 10R shock? Here is a shot of mine, 10R shock with 7 rocker...

Josh
Yea. My bottom rocker is wider than my 04-05 zx10r shock.

I confirmed the ref part #, it is from a 2004 ZX10r....

hmmm I wonder... I am going to grab my caliper right now and re measure Josh, I will post back in a few

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes you can file it down i believe it is like 1 or 2mm each side. Done many times over by many people.
Just seems like such a small area to begin with, let alone files down 1-2 mm on each side..

***ok I measured it out**

Looks like 1.65 mm needs to be removed from the bottom mount for it to slip on. So I am going to go redo it.

Josh - do you have a shot of the battery try and how you modified it?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It's not a very good pic with all the fairings and stuff in the way, but you can kind of see the aluminum "U" shaped bracket in the pic...

Here is how far you need to raise it... Basically as far as the fuse box will allow. This is also with the ride height almost maxed to the cotter pin.

·
6,661 Posts
I used the ZX10R suspension link. The geometry was very close to the same as my WSB Muzzy linkage. I just ran some sleeves over the ZX10R bolt where the linkage connects to the frame.

I lift the back of the bike enough that it clears the shock. Not sure if it is the same, but I am running an Ohlins for a 04 ZX10R, so the height may be different.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I used the ZX10R suspension link. The geometry was very close to the same as my WSB Muzzy linkage. I just ran some sleeves over the ZX10R bolt where the linkage connects to the frame.

I lift the back of the bike enough that it clears the shock. Not sure if it is the same, but I am running an Ohlins for a 04 ZX10R, so the height may be different.
I still have a 10R rocker... I don't exactly remember the issues, but I thought there were more issues involved with using the 10R rocker with the frame... maybe it was just the thought of drilling out the sleeve to 12mm and then -----> :rotflmao

Josh

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its on, fit fine with a slight modification.

I simply removed the metal battery tray holder from the underside of the tray, and cut the two small nubs off that the battery holder bolted in to.

I then fab'd up a few small aluminum bars to help brace the underside of the battery box.

Shaved a tiny bit off the bottom mount on the ZX10r shock, and everything slipped into place. I only had to cut maybe 1-1.5mm off the bottom of the battery box. It all looks stock, you can't even tell I did anything to it. The battery did not have to be raised at all the way I did it, and 95% of the battery holding box remained stocked with no major mods.

All in all, took about 2 hours with the right tools, and turned out excellent.

I did have to move my lowering links down a notch after adding this shock though. And a side note, I used the stock top mounting bolt and bracket, it was longer and helped me gain the clearance needed, so I did not have to cut up my battery box.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I didn't cut anything on the battery box, just removed the oem bracket and used to strap to lift it up.

Josh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts