Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a question for anyone who can answer this. my wife dropped her GSXR6 this afternoon and did a little cosmetic damage (little scraps to the mid fairing, broke the cheap ass aluminum clutch lever, and dinged/scratched the generator cover). i'm going to get some frame sliders and touch up the mid fairing, but i'm not sure how to replace the generator cover. do i have to drain the oil to do that? i'm not sure about it, believe i'll do it at the next schedule oil change if that's the case.

i know it's a GSXR, but any advice is helpful . . . :moon

·
Registered
3 Posts
replace generator cover

hey, just stumbled across you guys the other night. Saw your posting & thought I could help you out. I just changed my generator cover to a black one off an '06 ZX-6R ( I have an '05). It's real easy, you just need a buddy to lean the bike opposite to the kickstand when you do it. Minimal oil will come out if you do this, otherwise you would have oil coming out as soon as you pulled off the cover. I suggest getting new stator bolts to do this (just cuz I was about to strip the head of one of them when trying to loosen them). So just lean the bike over just enough so oil don't come out & have at it. Hope this helped. Look forward to talkin with you guys on here some more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks. when you switched the cover, did you drain the oil first and have someone lean it over a bit or did you do it w/ all the oil in it?

:clap

·
Registered
3 Posts
nah, I just left the oil in it. I actually used a dirt bike triangle stand & put it in the swingarm pivot & had a buddy just stand on the other side to make sure it didn't fall cuz it was kinda sketchy. he was there the whole time & held the generator cover for me from there while I got the stator out, its kinda hard. they had marine locktight on the bolts, don't know if yours will but probably, just so ya know. but like I said, I'd get new OEM bolts cuz you may or may not strip the heads, Plus they come with the locktight on them already, mine did anyway. hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts