Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I'm gonna correct the roughness of my 1st into 2nd gear shift. It clicks into gear and/or misses the shift. I've just about decided that it's a combination of internal wear and rider error making it worse. I love the 636 so much, I'm gonna crack open the tranny. It's an 05 with 4000+ miles.

I have much mechanical experience, but never with a sportbike gearbox. What can I expect??

What parts should I expect to need?

Any links/ pics would be appriciated.

Any suggestions for parts suppliers with good prices would be great.

Can I do this with the tranny still mounted inside the frame?

Any and all info would be appriciated.

And yeah, I'm gonna work on making sure I clutch BEFORE I shift into 2nd from now on. Make sure I firmly shift. I also adjusted my shift linkaged and got shorty levers to help but it's just not correcting the problem. I'm also NOT gonna run full synth anymore after the repairs.

Anyone who's done this plz help me out! THANKS :evil

·
Registered
990 Posts
Check everything is adjusted right, clutch cable slack, chain etc before you get too involved. Do the basics first.

Also Kawasaki boxes are know to be stiff untill they have covered a reasonable mileage, so it should improve with use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4000 miles, and you say it's mechanical failure? sorry son, its YOU. it's ALL you.

if it's mechanical, it's also because of you.

I have put less than 200 miles on the bike since I got it, so if there was rider error it was mainly the previous owner. I won't lie and say I never lazy shift tho. I have improved my shifting habits latelty.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Some other guys had shifting probs on older 6R & 9R & they found that the pivot on the gear pedal had not been greased, so worth checking that especially if the dealer was lax on the PDI or it was used in the wet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
are you sure that it just isnt the positive neutral finder that all kawasaki bikes have that is giving you this problem. i have a 05 636 as well and going from 1st to 2nd has always been a little rough. you have to really throw it sometimes to get it to shift. but hey... i could be wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
your gonna need dust seal for the shift rod, and some silicon selant for the cases. Im currently taking appart bottom ends and rebuilding transmissions at school (taking motorcycle mechanics at BCIT) so if u want i can take some pics to show you kinda what to expect when u split those cases appart if u want (if u have to? i don't think u have to split the cases on the newer bike), mind u the engines im taking appart right now are a lil old :S so ya just let me know if u want some pics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts