Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fairing is broken all the way around the base of the mirror. Is there a way to repair it? I don't really want to pay 300+ for a new fairing. Any info on how to best fix it will help. Thanks!

Forgot to mention its an 08 zx10r, I'm thinking they are plastic?

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
theres a thing called plastic weld at your local oreilly auto parts store but if you want it fixed right i'd fiber glass it and the repaint as necessary

·
Registered
87 Posts
depends if you wanna paint it or not , if not then just go to the auto parts store and throw a whole bunch of bondo or fiberglass in the back side of it youll still have the crack but it will be stronger then the day you bought it and youll be able to put your mirrors back on

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had very good luck by wire wheeling the back side of crack and installing a bead of JB Weld that laps the crack by 1/4" on each side and is 1/8" thick.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I always just use my plastic welder with ABS filler rod. Works great IMNSHO...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Theres a guy on you tube, Del i think hes called, he welds up a fairing crack by using a soldering iron and paper clips, this is how he does it :-

1. take the fairing off
2. hold the crack together using grips or whatever
3. IMPORTANT, do this on the inside of the fairing so the repair cant be seen from the outside
4. DOUBLY IMPORTANT, if you fuck up your fairing then don't come running to me, I'm only repeating what is mentioned on youtube
5. place a paperclip or a couple of paperclips ove the crack straddling both sides
6. place (turned on and hot) soldering iron on the paperclip/s and they will slowly melt into the fairing strengthening the join
7. melt the rest of the fairing together using the hot soldering iron
8. if you need more plastic to fill in then use a tie-rap or 2

thats it, simple really, ive done a bit of plastic soldering on a windscreen washer bottle and an old fairing uding a soldering iron and it is pretty straight forward

1 - 6 of 6 Posts