Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

What color for a 2001 ZX-9 with stock decals applied

• Lime Green of the Newer ZX Models (NOT Candy as in 2001)

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Pearl Black (Black Raven Killer)

Votes: 19 65.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum and just bought a 2001 ZX-9 after riding a KX in the dirt for the last 3 years. I haven't ridden street in maybe 8 years and it was a joy to take the bike out. Had a 88 Katana first year out, 91 GSXR-750, and a 99/2k/2k+1 frankenstein FZR600 that I built from spares.

Got a great deal as the upper fairing was mangled and the mid and bellypan were missing. Rest of the bike fared very well and it drives great. New bodywork comes in today and I need to decide on a paint color for it in the next week.

I'm basically torn between going with 1 of two options for paint. Either all Lime Green or all Black (probably pearl black). I like the flatter lime green of the newer models...almosts looks like an enamel with not much clear coat on it, but I'm worried that the resale might be better if I go with a more generic pearl black.

Either job is going to be very stockish (maybe not for year 2001) but just simple 1 color paint job with stock decals applied.

So 1) can anyone tell me how I accurately request or describe the stock lime green color of the newer ZX models to a paint guy?

and 2) give up a vote on what color you would prefer Lime Green or Black.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not sure if you can ask Kawi for their paint code... I heard they change them regularly, and guard them very close. LOL

I would suggest either getting a panel in the colour you want and have the paint guy match it, or tell him the year, and model of the bike and have him source it out.

I'm a Ninja rider... I would have to say green, green, green.

But you raise a valid point... green isn't for everyone, and if resale is a concern, you may have to weigh out the options.

But green has my vote.

·
Registered
990 Posts
In the UK the 9R's have always been Lime Green rather than the metallic/candy greens.

A well done respray in Lime Green will always look right on a Kawasaki & I can't see it devaluing the bike at all.

If you log on to
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?

Look up motorcycle/model then download the spec pdf, the paint codes are listed there.

As Swoosh says 'green, green, green'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ozzy my friend, you are The MAN!! The Color Rite site was just what I was hoping to find. Thanks!! Keep the votes coming folks, the fate of the battle weary Emerald Warrior is in your hands.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
metalic blue or mat black mate thats my vote

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
omigosh, black just edged out Lime Green after a late start. Keep the votes coming.:mfclap

·
Registered
55 Posts
metallic green like my 12r wayyy before the lime ugly green ... if not i say black !!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
green is mean! stay with green baby! all the other bike manufacturers can have a black bike, but none of them have lime green . . . :evil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, this just in....I was scouting around at some other options and stumbled across a place that does full wraps. http://www.bikeskinz.com I've seen these on busses and other vehicles and since a bike has small enough sections to wrap a whole piece with no seams, I'm wondering if this might not be the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with these or know of other places that sell similar products?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Dude,
If this is going to be YOUR ride and never to be sold.....
go with the wrap.
Your style, your design etc.
You can even go with a photo you like.(or should)
A friend of mine has his own business and wants to wrap my 01 zx6r for free as long as there is some small ad for him on it.
He told me to pick just about anything I want. Your only limit
is the quality of the pic / art work when it's blown up in size.
I'm actually thinking about going with an airplane skin type look.
You know, a silver P-51 Mustang with rivits getting exposed from the paint getting peeled back.
I dont now, maybe.
If they are willing to work with ya....go for it. Make it your own, Bro.
I know, it's a :eek:hno
Good luck.
peace

·
Registered
6 Posts
Color Rite has US rights to the exact color matching codes, expect to pay a premium. Or find a local auto paint supply house and have them pull their color chips, they may be able to come awfully close.

I love the green, but I think your right about the resale - go black.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts