Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help removing the right side bolt to install frame slider on 07 zx6r

I got left side on but I cant remove the right side bolt. Does anyone know a the trick to getting it off? :banghead

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check out parts at Kawasaki.com - Owner Info - Parts diagrams.
Setup looks similar to '06 model. The socket head bolts are tightened to 33 ft/lbs. You could try an impact driver to "crack" the tightness or an old trick of fractionally tightening the bolt to do the same and I do mean only fractionally.
gammac

·
Registered
368 Posts
Allen Head Socket preferrably with the same drive end as your torque wrench to put it back to proper torque specs when your done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't even bother using the 6mm hex head with a wratchet, you will just strip the bolt. Only ways you can do it are as follows (with great success) - I used method 2

1) air tools with hex bit (6mm)
2) sears bolt out removers use #9 hammer it in and use your wratchet to remove it (#10 will work but may slip) - literally WHACK it in a few times so it bites down hook on your wrench and crank it, you will hear a "CRACK" and that is the sound of joy that it has come loose (it's the same sound that comes from the left side except you will be very happy) LOL
3) impact gun with hex bit

TRUST me, it is extremely difficult with just the hex key and a wrench/wratchet. I tried using a 2 foot wrench with the hex bit and it stripped as the bolt doesn't move.

check www.kawiforums.com and do a search for frame slider in the zx6 forums.

Hope this helps and no, I'm not promoting another forum for those who are about to flame me. I'm just sharing info with everyone.

FYI - the torque spec for this bolt is 33 foot pounds

·
Registered
151 Posts
air socket is NOT ness. all's you need is a socket with the correct hex key on it. PERIOD. if your scared about scratching the fairing remove it. it's literally that easy. i had no issues when i did mine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bid you good luck then. Literally everyone except for 2 people that I read about (yoshed636 included), has been able to get it out with just the hex key and a wrench.

Those are my suggestions if you have any of those available to you, otherwise option 2 is the cheapest and easiest method.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I do know somewhat how to work on my bike and have put them on other bikes but I think maybe this kit is just the wrong kit. But thanks everyone for your help I appreciate it. Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was stupid and stripped mine. I used a stripped bolt remover socket and it came off easily. LOL. I wasnt wearing my helmet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Alot of times these bolts have red loc-tite on them. I know the bar ends on my old bike had the threads sealed this way. I used an impact driver to remove them. The right tool can save alot of friggin headaches sometimes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
air socket is NOT ness. all's you need is a socket with the correct hex key on it. PERIOD. if your scared about scratching the fairing remove it. it's literally that easy. i had no issues when i did mine...
Yeah, that's cute. I rounded the bolt off on my first try. Damn thing must have been made of butter. I used the damaged bolt removers after that, came right out.

Left side bolt, I tried to use an allen again because everyone said it would work. Broke the damn thing in half (it was from a Dewalt set from Home Depot, bought that very weekend). So I got out a slightly smaller damaged bolt remover, got that one out too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
man you guys are having some hard times with the sliders! but its good info, ima get mine done in the bike shop i hang out with my crew. good sh#t thou!

·
Registered
23 Posts
when i got my sliders put on the ,,mechanic said thats its important to support the engine and give it a lift because those bolts are where the engine is supported on the frame.So by removing them your loosening the support to the engine which in turns affects the removal of the bolt making it difficult ..im just saying what he told me!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
when i got my sliders put on the ,,mechanic said thats its important to support the engine and give it a lift because those bolts are where the engine is supported on the frame.So by removing them your loosening the support to the engine which in turns affects the removal of the bolt making it difficult ..im just saying what he told me!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps
If that were the case the bolts would be hard to get out and put back in, they aren't though.

And in the case of the right hand bolt I do believe that it mounts through a sleeve that attaches to the engine - that is what holds the castle nut that is beneath the head of the bolt that you remove it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did mine on Wednesday. The left bolt came right out, no problems. I stripped the right bolt out within about three seconds of attempting to remove it. Luckily I had already read about the Craftsman bolt remover so I picked it up the day before. Unfortuntaly I picked up the smaller sizes though. So now, headed back to Sears, picked up the correct extractor, went back home. I placed the extractor on the bolt, hit it a couple of times with a hammer, 10 seconds later it was out. Very easy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts