Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, new to the forum! i have a question about the reliability of the zx11
i recently purchased a 93 zx11d with 36000 miles on it, seems to run ok, but engine seems to make a clackity type noise, i did have a 84 zx900 which seemed to have same noise, a friend rode my bike and said noise is pretty common to kawasakis, but i should have valves adjusted? sounds resonable to me, with regular servicing what kind of life span can one expect? thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
all the descendants of the 900 Ninja (including the ZX-10, ZX-11 and Concours) motors are well-known to have problems with a malfunctioning valve chain tensioner (it gets "stuck" and fails to ratchet as it should). The chain can get loose and rattle quite abit. I've adjusted mine (involving removing the tensioner, making a slight adjustment to it, and replacing it. The job takes only minutes, and the results were good and the noise was reduced significantly; however there are some "particulars" to dealing with this adjuster and I would recommend consulting the factory workshop manual before you tackle it, otherwise you could damage the tensioner, or you could disrupt the valve timing, among other things). By the way, my "11" has over 38,000 miles and is still running strong (it's a 93 D model as well). I've heard of high mileage ZX-11's (approaching 100,000 miles with fastidious care).

·
Registered
122 Posts
51,000 hard miles on mine, and still running strong. But I have developed an oil leak. I've replaced about everything except the plastic, pistons, engine case, and wheels.

I've never driven anything more powerful, and I've never had so many problems with a vehicle, either. I still drive it daily, but have to put a pad under it when I park it. If I could go back in time, I never would have bought it.

$4,100 into the bike + engine removed twice = unhappy owner...

P.S. - My stock automatic cam chain tensioner cracked and I replaced it with a manual adjuster. I feel a lot better about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This morning I had to turn the bike around and put it back into the garage again. Seems I lost a couple cylinders (not firing). I'm sure the plugs are fouled since the bike seems to be running rich.

I put this post here because in the last week, I'm 1 and 3 for an uneventful ride into work and back. A 25% reliability rate isn't very good... :angry

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I got a kick out of reading these comments. I wonder how the comments have aged, and if any of them are still on the board or/& have their Zx-11s. Would love to hear a follow up.

& Yeah, Im creating content....lol
Ive owned mine 11 years now and she has been rock solid, some issues from time to time, but overall a (y), an A+ experience.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yesterday was the eleventh year that my D1 is with me, purchased with almost 36k miles, and now more than 58k while running as smooth and strong as ever. Checked valves two times and always were within specs, a full carburation job 9 years ago, and more than 10 years since the change of chain and sprockets, what more could ask to my ZX11 ?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,798 Posts
Mine just turned 46k. Been in gas and go mode for 5 years. Not bad for 1200$ junker nobody wanted. only issue has been mice....The previous owner powder coated all sorts of stuff for an art project. So it looks far from original. Really don't see me riding much else. 80s, early 90s ninja...
I've seen the pics of his bike. It's really nice.
Here's a pic

Attachments

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for posting!! USPS has me so busy last few years and I can't even sit down and figure out pics. Went 70 miles Sunday with a few friends. No problem but the hot weather. Still have never seen another zx 11 other than mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 1992 has 130,000 miles on it. I've owned it for over 25 years. I am on the third motor and second transmission and the second set of plastics. Still love the old girl though. She has allowed me to practice my cursing a whole lot over 25 years.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,798 Posts
My 1992 has 130,000 miles on it. I've owned it for over 25 years. I am on the third motor and second transmission and the second set of plastics. Still love the old girl though. She has allowed me to practice my cursing a whole lot over 25 years.
That's longer than some people's marriage. Including my previous one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts