Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the reflectors today. At the rear, the reflectors are held on by brackets that contain 3 captured nuts, which receive the bolts that hold both the rear shelf and the tailight to the bike. This necessitated taking a dremel and cutting the reflector off, and then grinding this bracket smooth. I painted them for good measure. Up front, the left side is just the bracket for the reflector, which comes off with 1 bolt, but on the right side the same bracket also holds a clamp for what appears to be part of the ABS line. Couldn't think of anything to do with this one, but I removed it anyway. The line appears to be OK without the clamp. Anyone have a better idea for this one?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took mine of too. The right fron one made me uncomfortable without the ABS lineclamp, so I took the original bracket and cut it off below the clamp and repainted it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gentlemen, function before style. What are you replacing them with? I am sure you found something awesome. I am also positive you didn't just remove them and make the motorcycle harder to see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted G,

Took them off because they are ugly.

buffgunner,

I suppose I can cut one more bracket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is ugly so important when some dumb SOB runs into your bike because he couldn't see it?
Benn riding continuously since 1964, and I always pull the reflectors. No one has run into me yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gentlemen, function before style. What are you replacing them with? I am sure you found something awesome. I am also positive you didn't just remove them and make the motorcycle harder to see.
They're a US requirement only. If they are all that keep me from being broadsided, then I screwed up badly. Also, my riding jacket has reflective on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
buffgunner,

We are on the same page. Going to modify the front bracket now (G).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ted when you have a black bike, removing the ugly reflectors is not going to change anything regarding safety.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
To each their own, but I am a firm believer in being seen. Reflectors are light weight and can be seen at night. They are still on my 10 and C14. I think square ones would look better. Motorcycling is a game of survival, and one needs all the ammunition you can get. If we need to change anything, we need to get a real horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts