Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I might need to re-ring my 1992 ZX11C3. I have not found any ring compressers that look suitable for the job. The factory service manuals show a tool consisting of a narrow band and a handle that looks like it might be tightened by turning the grip of the handle. Four such tools are needed in order to slide the cylinder block down on all four pistons.

Does anyone have a recommendation for ring compressers for the ZX11?

H.S.

·
6,618 Posts
The rings are just too fine for these kind of compressor tools. A friend showed me how to carefully seat the rings with dental picks. It's painfully tedious, but works great with very little chance of rolling a ring if you are careful.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Zip ties and strips from a plastic jug . If there's enough bevel at the bottom of the cylinders it's easy to do with a pen cap .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've attached a picture from the Kawasaki Service Manual. The zip ties and plastic jug strip sounds promising, or mabe strips from a large coffee can (well flattened and de-burred!).

H.S.
Ring_Compressor_from_ZX11_Service_Manual.png

·
Registered
22 Posts
U dont need compressors. If u wanna spend the money on em sure it slides on fast. Ive never used 1. I use my fingers and sometimes a small flat screwdriver when theyre being finicky. A lil patience and some practice ull b alright. If it doesnt want to slide dont force it. Inspect everywhere b4 u tap on the jugs w a 1/2oz hammer. Any bigger than that u can break stuff.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use one of these. Never worry about breaking a ring or scratching a cylinder. Cheap and easy to use, even with oily hands. The one listed below is for a stock sized piston, your size may be different.
I see the auction site has the cheapest prices.

Wiseco Ring Compressor Sleeve 76.0mm RCS07600

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taildragger1197, I looked at a photo of the Wiseco RCS07600. I assume that being a continuous cylinder, you insert the pistons from the top of the block then lower the block to insert the wrist pin through the piston and con rod little end.

I checked the Wiseco site, found a description of the device but no suggestion on proper use. Do you insert all four pistons together, pushing them further down one-at-a-time far enough to expose the wrist pin opening in the piston, having lowered and supported the block?

If that is how it's done, in what order (of piston) is most convenient? I'm thinking about inserting the wrist pin and circlip of each piston in an order that avoids interference from the previous piston. 2 and 3, inserting wrist pins from left of 2 and right of 3, then 1 and 4, inserting wrist pins from left and right respectively?
Thanks for your thoughts.

H.S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
W the zx11 u put the rods and pistons on the crankshaft b4 u put the cylinders on. Start w 2&3 at TDC then after u get them installed slide them as deep as u can b4 attempting 1&4. Small wooden blocks will help hold the crank from rotating w.o damaging the skirts. U might in theory b able to install the wrist pins the way ur talking. Good luck if u try that and i hope u have a lot of patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts