Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Recommend hub for spoked wheels?

745 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Leprechaun 
#1 ·
This is going to sound way out there, but I’m trying to convert from stock mag wheels to spoked wheels to make it custom (retro). Any recommendations on a 40 spoke hub that will fit a Zx9r, so I can keep the dual disc brakes? I’ll be amazed if someone responds with constructive recommendations. LOL

#2 ·
I highly doubt anything will just “bolt up”, but look at Ducati Sport Classic wheels. I swapped a set from a GT1000 onto my ‘78 Kz1000. I already had a set of ‘89-90 Zx7 forks and a Zrx1100 swingarm. Both Kawi pieces run a 20mm axle so I swapped the front bearings from the 25mm ID to 20mm ones. Unfortunately, I can’t remember if I messed with the rear wheel’s bearing. You probably won’t have to swap the fronts like I had to.

Later, Doug

#4 ·
I highly doubt anything will just “bolt up”, but look at Ducati Sport Classic wheels. I swapped a set from a GT1000 onto my ‘78 Kz1000. I already had a set of ‘89-90 Zx7 forks and a Zrx1100 swingarm. Both Kawi pieces run a 20mm axle so I swapped the front bearings from the 25mm ID to 20mm ones. Unfortunately, I can’t remember if I messed with the rear wheel’s bearing. You probably won’t have to swap the fronts like I had to.

Later, Doug
Thats a very nice ZED

#8 ·
For spoked wheels look at supermotos, think theres the ofd one that has dual discs. If not try a wheel builder. If your on facebook as on butchered classics, if anyone will k oe that lot will. I cant think of any dual disc hub with a 25mm axle, well apart from the ducati ones mentioned above. There was a pair for sale in oz for 750aud, about £300. Only set i can find for less than 2 grand, the seller isnt responding as it was last year they were listed.
tour other option would be to find 25mm axle soze hubs and get supermoto rims built to the hubs.
loads ofaprillia have 25mm axles and some are spoked wheels

#9 ·
I really appreciate your recommendations, Pyke13. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of Supermotos, other than most I’ve seen have only one rotor. I will see if I can identify ones with dual rotors and hope these have 25mm axels or a way to change the bearings as Doug managed to do.

#11 ·
If your on facebook join butcheredclassic.com someone on there will k ow how and where to get the rims you need. A lot seem to use original hubs and supermoto rims. Spokes wheels aint my thing so im limited on what advice i can give but ive seen folk on that page building 250bhp bandit 12 turbo bikes running spoked wheels. , only pre 1990 bike allowed.
o think some huskavara supermotos are dual disk. Most aptilia wheels are 25mm axles.
what about using harley wheels? Or at least using harley hubs with supermoto rims

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.