Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings guys -

I am looking for a nice aftermarket steering dampner that will fir mt 95 ZX7R.

It had one of the old school bolt on side damps on it but someone tipped the bike in the grass and it blew it.

I know there are new style dampers out there... what will fit my bike?

Budget max: $300

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Since you had a side mount, your best bet is to find an Ohlins take off (the stock one that doesn't really work) and mount it where your old one is.
That will also be the cheapest route.
Dampers are $500+ for 90's ninjas- even on ebay.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should just look for a used Ohlins or Hyperpro?

I know it has the 41mm clamp already on the fork. I could stick that route.

Does anyone know what length I need to buy? 270 /330 or 400 mm? I threw the old damper in the trash already a while ago.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Are you tracking your ZX7? Unless you are, a damper IMHO is overkill for these bikes. I've owned 4 ZX7's and have never felt any headshake @ speeds. My good friends raced an 89 and 93 and they never ran a steering damper.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you tracking your ZX7? Unless you are, a damper IMHO is overkill for these bikes. I've owned 4 ZX7's and have never felt any headshake @ speeds. My good friends raced an 89 and 93 and they never ran a steering damper.
I havent yet felt shake. It already had the damper before, and I was used to how it felt. I don't do more than 90 on it generally. So you're saying just not go with a damper at all? I would hate to experience tank slap because I took it off... but if people do not have issues with them, maybe I will just pass on replacing it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'd find a dozen ways to spend $300 on my 7 and a damper wouldn't be on the list!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd fine a dozen ways to spend $300 on my 7 and a damper wouldn't be on the list!
Again, the bike had it before. I was under the impression it needed to be on the bike. If I don't need it, then I would gladly spend the money on something else :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts