Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondeirng if a dent in back wheel would still be ok to use? tire sems to be ok bike has no shimmy or shake at all...but i notice previous owner has tire balanced and two weights are across from the dent ..maybe wheel has been balanced?

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
As long as there's no wiggle and the tire doesn't lose pressure, it's OK to use the wheel. I used a front with a dent for over a year until I found one for cheap and replaced it.
The only issue I had was I knew it had a flat spot. You might try straightening it out with a large hammer and a wooden block the next time you have to change the tire, but be careful. I took about 90% of the flat spot out of mine with that method, but I couldn't get it perfect.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
My rear has a few gouges and a dent in it, but its perfectly balanced. No problems, no leaks.

So as long as yours doesn't leak and isn't knocked out of balance, I am sure its fine. I probably wouldn't take it on any high speed runs, but still.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Haven't experienced your problem yet but I'm in agreement with Hammerhead and Masta Squidge, as long as there is no air leak and the wheel is balanced you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
keep in mind the faster you go the more strain on the area .... last thing you want is the tyre poping off its bead because its not being retained properly

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
Most of the time, the dent's on the outer lip and the bead seat, where the metal's much thicker, is unaffected. If they dent's severe enough to bend the bead seat, it won't hold air, anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Most of the time, the dent's on the outer lip and the bead seat, where the metal's much thicker, is unaffected. If they dent's severe enough to bend the bead seat, it won't hold air, anyway.
agreed.... for the most part, I have seen rims hold air when bent all the way to the bead seat (halfway down the seat)

but we dont have photos or mesuments to go from soooo...... I just stick to the safe side

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
Take a piece of 2x4 and a 3-pound hammer and you can make most of that practically disappear. Don't bother to take the tire off, it will help keep you from going too far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts