Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you out there has tried to fit a 190 60 on the rear and if it does fit????
Thanx!!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not as far as i know because it will catch on the hugger when at speed due to the tyre expanding when riding.
Hi Kenneth,

you really think it will expand that much???

We have measured the clearance and on a 190/55 profile the clearance is 20mm and the 60 profile is 9.5 mm larger in radius, that leave you with 10.5mm for expansion. You think it will expand by that much on the radius??:headscratch

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Kenneth,

you really think it will expand that much???

We have measured the clearance and on a 190/55 profile the clearance is 20mm and the 60 profile is 9.5 mm larger in radius, that leave you with 10.5mm for expansion. You think it will expand by that much on the radius??:headscratch
Honestly i would think it would because if i stick a 55 profile on my bike with about 15 mm clearance, it hits and shatters the hugger. I hit about 185kph when i got the bike with the 55 profile and when i hit that speed i heard it and stopped and there was a nice hole in the hugger. I told the dealer and they changed the tyre and hugger for me at no cost and now with the 50 profile its great.:clap

·
Registered
532 Posts
The new Dunlop D209GP only come in a 190/60 or a 180/55. Want to try it out on some trackdays. Anyone with experience with the Dunlop GP tyres???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Julle praat verby mekaar...

One of you has a 04, the other an 07...

I'm running a 190/55 Metzteler Racetech and have about 20mm, which may vary, depending on chain adjustment of course... On an 06...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Julle praat verby mekaar...

One of you has a 04, the other an 07...

I'm running a 190/55 Metzteler Racetech and have about 20mm, which may vary, depending on chain adjustment of course... On an 06...
I ride the 04' and he rides the 06' but the 06' comes std with a 55 profile and if you go up, apparently from what i have heard from more than one bike shop and racer, is that you have to take the hugger off or it will stuff it up.

On my 04' i can get away with a 55 profile up till 100km then you can hear it catch the hugger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fair enough...

Sakkie, have you still got standard gearing? What tyres are you guys running now?

Just thinking if you maybe go down one on the front, you may gain enough clearance for the 60 profile...

Where are you riding? Kyalami? Swartkops? Or even Welkom?

PS: There's another one up there somewhere that I can't remember the name of...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fair enough...

Sakkie, have you still got standard gearing? What tyres are you guys running now?

Just thinking if you maybe go down one on the front, you may gain enough clearance for the 60 profile...

Where are you riding? Kyalami? Swartkops? Or even Welkom?

PS: There's another one up there somewhere that I can't remember the name of...
Haai Nutter, waar kom jy vandaan met die Afrikaans?

Yes, we will be doing trackdays at Zwartkops and intend to start the "Thunderbike series".
We have now fitted these 209GP tyres, 120/70 ZR17 front and 190/60 ZR17 rear, standard sprockets ('07) model, and have still got some 20mm clearance between the tyre and the front of the swingarm, the little hugger is not a factor at all, the tyre will touch the swingarm just before it touches the hugger, but more than enough clearance.

The problem we have though, is that above 200km/h, the bike picks up a "wobble/wander" from side to side. This is not a headshake in the normal sense that feels like a tankslapper (the handles don't shake at all), but the whole bike sort of wobble from side to side - very uncomfortable!!!!

Have only done like 150 km on it so far and yes, it take quite a while to warm up, but the grip levels are unreal, already got the "chicken strips" down to 5mm.
The handling of the bike into turns and in the turns has improved dramatically!!!!!! Handling now feels similar to the ZX6R!!!! and have much more confidence turning into the bends and keep it there!!!!!!

I dont know what pressures to run these on and if someone can give advice as to pressures and to eliminate the high speed wobble, I will appreciate it, thanks!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ek's 'n ou Vaalie...

Came to New Zealand about 6,5 years ago.

I haven't had the 10 long but all the roads around here stay damp or wet this time of year. Even frosty if it stays cold enough.
Not as bad as some other places where they have to 'winterise' bikes...

Sorry but I can't help with the wobble. Seems they are susceptible to geometry, the 10's are.

Tot volgende keer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts