Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,i went thru the old threads about tires for the zx11,im courious about what i should buy,and yes i do like speed ,and grip,and nice quiet sunday country rides also!Mainly a all around tire.Someone mentioned the tire that comes on the zx14,Bto14 also the Michelin Pilot Power seems to stand out. Also im wondering about the Avon Venom.And one more thing,should i stay stockwith the same size or go wider to the 190? Will this affect anything other than the looks?:smile

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Beside the look, going to a 190 only have disadvantages. It is heavier, more expensive and will negatively affect handling (because of the weight abd because of the section too). However, for most ZX-11 riders, the loss of handling is negligeable.

I would only use 180 but that's just me...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand and tiresize

Thanks for the responce Big ninja, and Claude you guys have helped my decision. Ill Go with the pilot power 180.Some one mentioned i should put a 200 on my bike, however ive heard and wasent sure, that like you said claude it can throw the handling of the already big bike off. Ill stay stock and keep the shiney side up!:clap

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, you made the right choice. With the stock set-up, a 190 or 200 wouldn't even fit. You'd have to start changing stuff, hassles for what? And the 180 is NOT a small tire.

I've been sometimes known to really throw my bike around through the twisties for example, and the 180 gives me more than enough tire to do the job just fine! Actually, the rider's skills, smoothness, etc. are much more important!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, you made the right choice. With the stock set-up, a 190 or 200 wouldn't even fit. You'd have to start changing stuff, hassles for what? And the 180 is NOT a small tire.

I've been sometimes known to really throw my bike around through the twisties for example, and the 180 gives me more than enough tire to do the job just fine! Actually, the rider's skills, smoothness, etc. are much more important!
I have a Mickey Thompson 190 on my ZX11. It works great at the drag strip but I don't like it at all on the street. I bought this tire to replace an old Dunlop that was on there. The Dunlop rode absolutely great on the street. The Mickey required a lot of weight to get it balanced and even then it never felt as smooth as the Dunlop. Also, the Mickey is a street tire thats made to work good at the strip. Its very flat, without much curved shape to it. I hate this tire. After a few more smokey burnouts I'll be putting a Dunlop qualifier on the back (already ride it on front). However, I agree that the 180 is the way to go, but if you do decide on the 190, it goes right on without any hassles or any need to change any of the stock equipment.
T

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock size for rear and front?

I called Iron pony to order my tire and i asked for the pilot power in the 180,and the gentleman said that the size for my 91 c mod was a 170. So i guess i was way off on the size,once again should i stay to stock size or go up just a little?I guess the tires got fatter with the newer models.I want to do whats best,{and not be a Squid!:angry! }

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Yes, stock tire on C model was a 170/60ZR17; I suppose 180 were not made yet in 1990. But D model got a 180 when introduced in 1993.
For your C model, you can use a 170 but a 180 will work as well. I tried both sizes and saw no real difference. A 170 will be slightly lighter and a tad less expensive too. Your choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your choice.

Once again thanks for the help,i called the shop where my bike is at and they said that a 180 55 17 was on it, i couldnt recall what the prievious owner had on it ,i knew that it had a hole in it and a patch or plug is not in the question of fixxing it,and i wanted to make the right choice when i buy.WE dont believe in wasted money$$$$$$ Thanks again. Almost rideing!::smile

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending ont the tire (profile etc..) you choose, the 170 may be a good choice. it is a bit narrower & will fall off quicker into the turms assuming you get a tire with that sort of profile such as the pilot power, pirelli diablo etc...

I am running the pirellis on mine & can say they are a great wet weather tire as well. I think I like the michelins a bit better performance cornering-wise, but both are good tires. The only one I stay away from are the bridgestones. I had an "incident" due to tire slippage with one & will not go back to them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Incidient"

well i understand.I wouldnt feel to Good going back to something that i had a bad experience with either.Us riders are only dealing with two tires so we need to make the best two choices that we can!:rolleyes

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I just got a pair of Metzler Z6's on my 99 in stck size and so far they have been a big improvement over the MEZ 4's......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts