Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Read some posts about swaping the rear shock by the zx6r/zx10r. Does it need any big adaptation or is direct fit (+-) ? Better feel on the rear ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not sure, but I have a 09 zx6 shock for sale if you want it :)
-Cody

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i put an 07 zx6r shock on, and had to mill out the bottom mounting bracket, plus make new dog bones because the shock was about an inch total shorter. but i used the zx7r linkage.

Josh says that a zx12r shock goes in there. and a lot of people have swapped a zx10r, but you have to drill out the mounting points.

also remember that the zx10r shock is still about a half inch shorter than the zx7r so if you have your rear end raised up, there might not be enough threads to raise it to where you like it.

Almost anything will work if you're willing to!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Oh, and my shock had 40K miles on it, and the new zx6r piece i put on had less than 10k, but i can tell you that the bike felt like a dream going down the road. The rear end felt like it tracked a lot better that with the stocker in there.

and the whole thing only cost me 30 bones, so I can be fairly certain its not my checking account talking with this one.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Depends on what the shock is going on...

91-95 the battery box needs raised and the ride height maxed to run a 10R shock.

Some have had to clearance the bottom to fit the rocker.

Not sure about any clearance issues with the 10R shock and 96+ bikes.

With ride height maxed a 12R shock fits fine for 93-95. Straight swap for 96+

In both cases either run the stock upper mount that came with the shock and drill the lower or drill the upper, use the 7 upper mount and still drill the lower to 12MM.

Josh

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I suppose Ill go for a zx12r rear shock, since its almost direct fit

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
any specific years on the 12r shock? or any will do?
They are all the same IMHO, although there was a slight change from the 00-01 to the 02+ shocks.

I had an 00/01 on my 93 before I did the swingarm swap and unfortunately had to cross over to having to use the 10R shock.

I did not notice a difference between the 2, but both are lightyears over the stock ZX7 shock.

But in all fairness my stock shock had like 50,000 some odd miles on it :crazyloco

Josh

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@bullitt

And how was the feeling of the rear with the 12r shock?? much diference from the stock?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
@bullitt

And how was the feeling of the rear with the 12r shock?? much diference from the stock?
Huge difference for the better, but like I said my original stock shock had a buttload of miles on it.

So not a totally fair comparison. But the the 10/12 shocks do have more adjustability.

Josh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts