Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rear Brake bracket broke on me yesterday!

Yesterday while rid'n into a right twistie, I felt my rear brake get a little spungie. I know, I know stay off of the brakes in a turn but this was a lake road and I noticed there was sand at the apex. So I wasn't going too fast and tapped the rear brake. However I noticed that the brake squished instead of having some resistance. I got through the sand but ended up dropping the bike in the process because I couldn't slow quickly enough with the rear brake out of wak and didn't want to crimp the fronts hard in the turn.... After picking up my bike I noticed that the rear brake torque area of the cast aluminum bracket was cracked and there was some pieces falling off ( crumbling ) where the brake lever pivots. I called the dealer and told him I dropped my bike after a rear brake malfunction and explained everything. He asked which side I dropped it on and I told him the right. Then he didn't sound enthusiatic. Told me that he has never heard of the cast aluminum part breaking. Well I told him that the stupid thing not only broke but I shoved the damn brake lever almost straight the hell down trying to get the bike stopped. Then he asked me if when I dropped the bike I damaged the brake. Fortunitaly the brake has absolutly no road scratched or damage to make it look like I'm full of shit. Do all of these guys try to make it out like were full of it? Now I have to drive my bike without a rear brake to Dallas 2 hrs from here so that they can look at it and they want to send the parts to Kawasaki for thier opinion. Anyone of you guys have this happen to you? Has anyone ever had damage to thier bike because of a manufacturers flaw? Because I want them to fix the cowling and scratched areas. It is a matter of princaple to me because I could easily afford to fix it myself but should'nt have to. Do you guys think I'm screwed? This sucks:banghead :rant :angry

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall and just thank god your still ok and not to badly broken up. Its a shame that all the dealers for everything in the world like to screw people over but i hope you come right with them and they have to sort you out.

I have had ali parts break on race cars before but not on bikes. i know that if you over heat ali or hit it just a little to hard it can cause weakness in it and break. Thats why it is never a good idea to repair ali rims as they become very brittle when they heat them to fix them.

Hope you get them to sort it for you

·
Registered
494 Posts
The problem is that too many people try to screw over the dealers because they don't want to pay for stuff. Case in point, I had a customer get his tire changed somewhere else. Whoever did the tire change managed to strip out the bolt holes on the rear brake mount plate. The caliper fell off and wrote off everything to do with the brake.

Now, we'd never removed his brake, or his rear wheel, but the damage was obviously our fault.

I know it seems off topic, but the reason that so many dealerships are so... untrusting is because there are way too many people out there who aren't willing to take care of something they've done to themselves. So in a case like yours there's a whole series of checks and balances that need to be gone through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts