Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear axle bolt has a 5/16 allen on one side, and a 15/16 hex nut on the other. the bolt is frozen and i stripped the allen side trying to get it off. ive tried heating it, beco-lube, penetrating oil, nothing seems to be working. im ording a new axle bolt tomorrow, but i still have to get the old one off. i havent tried yet, but i would think cutting with a hacksaw, or sawzaw with a metal blade would be out of the question seeing as how its hardened steel. and cutting the hex nut off wouldnt be the best either because its a grade 8 nut. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Did you loosen the axle clamp bolts? I think the ZX-11 with the eccentric axle adjustment has them. In any case, the nut should come off first.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Loosen the adjusting bolts on the swingarm (left side when standing behind the bike). Then unscrew the axle from the left side.
When the axle comes off, loosen the swing arm bolts on the right side and the nut will come out.

If you stripped the left side, then just reverse the operation. Personally found it easier to loosen the axle from the left.

You might want to have something under the tire so it doesn't try to just drop to the floor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loosen the adjusting bolts on the swingarm (left side when standing behind the bike). Then unscrew the axle from the left side.
When the axle comes off, loosen the swing arm bolts on the right side and the nut will come out.

If you stripped the left side, then just reverse the operation. Personally found it easier to loosen the axle from the left.

You might want to have something under the tire so it doesn't try to just drop to the floor.
both adjustment bolts are loosened. i didnt think to tighten the right side(striped side) back down to put tension on it, ill try that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts