Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people I'm new to the forum and although have had many bikes and quite experienced at repairs and mechanical work I have never had a kwak before.
I recently sold my yzf750 and brought a zx9r e1, love the bike to bits but having a few problems.

Ok here goes
The bike had been sitting for two years, when I got it I changed the fuel hooked it up to the jump starter and it fired up, then cut out did this four or five times then a huge backfire and it idled and revved round the clocks smoothly and cleanly, from then it started first time evertime. After a week or do took it out for a test ride, as soon as it was under load would not rev above 4k was juddery and cut out, would restart straight away but then would not rev above 4k even with no load, if you blipped the throttle it would hit 3 or 4 then cut out.
So stripped and cleaned the carbs cleaned air filter fresh plugs, again started straight away and revved cleanly, took it out and exactly the same thing happened, feels almost like it running on three but it isn't.
Then proceeded to check fuel pump, stripped off tops of carbs and checked diaphragms reassembled and now it won't even rev cleanly just hits 3k stutters then dies. What should I be looking at now, think its defiantly fuel related as it went back to revving fine after I cleaned the carbs but one minute under load and it stops doing that and won't rev out wether there is load or not. Am I missing something, what does the air intakes attached to the top of the carbs do, if I blow in them it shoots fuel out into the air box, also I didn't remove the floats when I cleaned them just the jets and needles/diaphragms, should I take the floats out and remove the needle seats, one last question at what rpm should the slides start to lift cos at 4k none of mine even move at all is that right.
Sorry for long essay cheers guys

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
check for holes in the diaphragms and make sure they are freely sliding. If they aren't moving at all, that's a problem.

If I even so much as blip the throttle on my 7R (similar carbs, not the same though) those things will move.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If what Masta Squidge said doesn't fix it, keep checking back because someone on here has had that problem & fixed it. Wished I had a suggestion but I'm no mechanic. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
...., what does the air intakes attached to the top of the carbs do, if I blow in them it shoots fuel out into the air box,..
That hose should go forward connect to a vacuum controlled valve and then "Y" off to both ram air inlets. Search float bowl vent in the 9r section for more info. It equalizes the pressure between the airbox and the float bowls. Without it it will cause symptoms like yours. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I dont think the original problem was the diagrams because it should still rev to redline with no load even if the diagrams werent seated right. I experienced that problem first-hand.

Edit: Hopefully Riley's suggestion works, I was only gonna suggest good spark from the wires.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
That hose should go forward connect to a vacuum controlled valve and then "Y" off to both ram air inlets. Search float bowl vent in the 9r section for more info. It equalizes the pressure between the airbox and the float bowls. Without it it will cause symptoms like yours. Hope this helps.
+1 allso because it's been siting around clean out your fuel tap.... be sure there is no rust etc inside the tank blocking fuel flow.

the 9 responds well with the ram air system, so IMO keep it on the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts