Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I went 2 down in front and up 2 in back what is my top speed about when my speedo says 183. Iam thinking about going to 1 down in fornt any ideas.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just to give you an idea... I dropped 2 on my front on my 2000 ZX7R when I had it, and it was sic as hell how hard it pulled light to light in town.

Now the bad news... I lost approximately 50mph on the top end, and it wasn't worth it. And that's without going up in the back.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to want to change sprockets... it's almost like the engineers that spent all that time trying to figure out the perfect ratio of speed vs. torque wasted their time.

My philosophy would have to be ... want more low end torque... buy a twin.
Wanna go faster... add a PCIII or TRE, or buy a bigger, faster bike.

Just can't understand why the sprockets seem to be the first thing to go. Yes, I did it. I regretted it, and changed back.

Not trying to jump on you for this, so please don't take it that way... JMHO.

Just remember... for everything you try to gain with sprockets, you have to lose somewhere else. add torque...lose top end. Add top end... lose torque.

Good luck... keep us posted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
what was your top speed before adding the sprockets? if you went up two in the back, and your top speed is saying 183, then you are probably going about 10-20mph slower then you where before you added the sprocket. so if you used to do 165, now it's saying 183, you're probably about 30 or so mph off

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just to give you an idea... I dropped 2 on my front on my 2000 ZX7R when I had it, and it was sic as hell how hard it pulled light to light in town.

Now the bad news... I lost approximately 50mph on the top end, and it wasn't worth it. And that's without going up in the back.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to want to change sprockets... it's almost like the engineers that spent all that time trying to figure out the perfect ratio of speed vs. torque wasted their time.

My philosophy would have to be ... want more low end torque... buy a twin.
Wanna go faster... add a PCIII or TRE, or buy a bigger, faster bike.

Just can't understand why the sprockets seem to be the first thing to go. Yes, I did it. I regretted it, and changed back.

Not trying to jump on you for this, so please don't take it that way... JMHO.

Just remember... for everything you try to gain with sprockets, you have to lose somewhere else. add torque...lose top end. Add top end... lose torque.

Good luck... keep us posted.
My thoughts exactly. Its like your trying to get fake torque and horsepower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
up in smoke must not race bikes. Rossi doesnt change the displacement of the engine if he is not ripping off fast times at a track. Depending on the track, he makes chassis adjustments and Gearing changes. Changing gears will affect all gear speeds at the top end and is a general change. Changing a gear stack will allow you to individually change speeds in different gears. It depends on the application and the type of riding your wanting to do. Tight tracks you need to be quick from corner to corner so you drop front teeth or add rear teeth. If its a big sweeping track you do the opposite so that your gears keep you at the correct speed. ZXskeet, if you need mph read outs for your gearing combinations I can figure that out for you, just let me know your ratios and sprocket numbers.

Torque is the engines ability to do work while horspower is the rate at which the engine can get work done (acceleration). You dont need a bigger bike to go faster, thats why there is a winner and a loser and why so much effort is put into figuring out correct gearing combinations. Plus, its cheaper than buying a new bike!

·
Registered
101 Posts
up in smoke must not race bikes. Rossi doesnt change the displacement of the engine if he is not ripping off fast times at a track.
That's correct but Rossi isn't allowed to change engine displacement. Every racer will change the gearing to suit the track unless the rules for the class they're racing in doesn't allow it. Rossi will also change the springs, shock and even the swingarm between sessions but nobody is going to advocate that you change the swingarm every time you're just going down the shops. What UpNSmke and Swoosh are saying is that if you want more low end grunt then why not buy a bike to match.

The ZX-6R has the smallest engine and least initial grunt of any bike of owned in the last 10 years but it's not a problem for me. I purchased the bike knowing that would be the case as I wanted something that was more agile in the twisities and a bike that I could use the power of more often. If I wanted grunt away from the lights I would have bought the 10R instead.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against anyone changing the sprockets if that's what they want to do just pointing out that using a racer as a counter argument isn't a valid comparison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts