Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got this 636 with scratches and decided flat black had to go. Got some rattle can paint since a shop here wanted too much. After paint dried and set I still wet sanded the clear down and buffed and polished it out. Looks like I have brand new fairings and tank and rims. Someone wanted to see these rims on the bike so here they are from afar.

The reflection in the clear and metallic black

$60 in rattle can paint and sandpaper vs $800 for just the plastics in one color. Not too bad and I'm not taking it to show the bike so it works for me.

· VP Whoring
14,654 Posts
Nicely done man, ive been wanting to try this for so long.

Really want to do my rims soon. Any tips to throw out there?

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Already seen the wheels and once again they are super nice for spray bomb.Just to give you a head up for the tank or even the rest of your fairings,you can buy a 2k clear coat in a spray can.Its called Spray max.Urethane 2k clear.RM (the automotive paint line) makes 1 as well.They have a activator to push to release the hardener.Google it.$20-$25 a can.And im pretty sure its safe to spray over lacquer or enamel once cured properly,obviously best to use it over enamel more then lacquer seeing how enamel is just a better paint.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All about prep work spaying is the easy part. I stripped off all the paint from my rims and sanded. For the two tone stuff use the same type of paint or it might react to one another. Before applying diff colors make sure to scuff what you are covering with at least grey scotch brite pad. Don't rush anything. If u don't have an oven to dry the paint it has to set up at least over night. You can do it easy if you stay focused and not rush the job! And thanks this tool three weeks to do from start to final polish and wax :)

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already seen the wheels and once again they are super nice for spray bomb.Just to give you a head up for the tank or even the rest of your fairings,you can buy a 2k clear coat in a spray can.Its called Spray max.Urethane 2k clear.RM (the automotive paint line) makes 1 as well.They have a activator to push to release the hardener.Google it.$20-$25 a can.And im pretty sure its safe to spray over lacquer or enamel once cured properly,obviously best to use it over enamel more then lacquer seeing how enamel is just a better paint.

Awesome! That will be good to know for later on any DIY!

· VP Whoring
14,654 Posts
Did you use any chemicals on the rims or just sanding and scrubbing? Also, what brand/color did you get for the green paint. Was it from colorite.com ?

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Awesome! That will be good to know for later on any DIY!
+1
I think i might take that road on my next paint,with my next bike,instead of setting up the compressor and the whole 9 yards.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Magic I just used dupli-color engine ename for the rims. I've tried others before and the engine enamel last way longer and more durable finish. I used paint stripper to get the factory paint off then soap n water then red scotch brite then green masked then grey scotch brite pad then black then unmask grey scotch brite then clear to Linda put it in a perspective all dupli color or however u spell that for the rims

· Premium Member
3,527 Posts
+1
I think i might take that road on my next paint,with my next bike,instead of setting up the compressor and the whole 9 yards.

+1

There seems to be higher and higher quality products available in spray can form. I'd consider going that route as well, especially for smaller jobs.

· Premium Member
8,270 Posts
that looks great dude. especially for rattle can. i had a friend do rattle can a few years ago, probably didn't do a great prep job though, and it came out like crap

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed by your rattle can skills lol. Looks like you had it painted somewhere. Nicely done man.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that looks great dude. especially for rattle can. i had a friend do rattle can a few years ago, probably didn't do a great prep job though, and it came out like crap
Yea lots of looks from the tank pad haha and mps it was kinda shiny after it all dried but since I detail cars in the summer on the side I wet sanded it down with 2k grit and just use a rubbing compound makes it shiny and smooth then polish it makes it super shiny like a black mirror!

· Registered
198 Posts
that definitely turned out clean! its easy to tiger-stripe metalics. a car one of my employers has was repainted in a grey metalic. there are "stripes" running the hood and roof. looks pathetic. hard enough on a flat surface, but yours looks pretty impressive, especially with all the curves.

well done

· Registered
151 Posts
These days the only drawback with rattle cans is colour match. I use them for small jobs or if I need heatproof. The rest of the time I use the compressor, just so I know it will all be the same colour.

· Registered
781 Posts
Nice job, i had to do my tank last year when i switched from blue to black fairings. Would have came out alot better if i used finer sand paper to get the blue paint off. Yours came out really good. What was your process?

· Registered
7,375 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.