Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

501 - 520 of 542 Posts

·
RRRRRR
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Raptor is up and running, sent video to friends on FB, will try to get better video when it gets warmer, although it is supposed to be 70* today and 20*F when I am off this weekend.
I am left with a few small things:
fill and bleed brakes, figure out lack of operating tach (new endurance harness and have switched out kit cdi twice and kit tack twice), am test fitting Raptor fairings prior to repaint and decals (need to trim lowers around factory works radiator and exhaust).

Anyways, looking pretty cool

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
That thing looks hellacious. Are you going to trackday it or run class races? AHMRA eligible?

·
RRRRRR
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
Delrin steering stops, from muzzy, have loads of extra

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
That bike is beautiful. I think that was the time period when bikes looked different, exciting, and unique, and yours has to be the poster child of them all.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Always checking the progress on this build to see what is new. Love to see all the trick bits and how they work together as Muzzy/ Kawasaki intended them. A true work of art and a modern marvel. Thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Damn man
this is incredible. I cant believe I am just now witnessing this incredible build. Recently I have been seeing SR Magazine post with the Purple/black raptor. In 96 I bought a showroom ZX7R,, Had for 2 yrs

·
RRRRRR
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Its coming close now. just a few things.
I found this carbon shield a few months ago in my stuff and wondered about it and then saw this shot of Chandlers bike and realized what it is....

·
RRRRRR
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
Got some time to tidy up some things: finally found springs to secure Muzzy race headers to WSB head and cannnister to high pipe ( all others were standard length), shimmed out Kit rearsets so as to not interfere with RAM swingarm, and installed carbon fiber heel plate on left rearset.
Still have lots of odds and ends to do...

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Looking gorgeous Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Now that i have cleaned the drool off the cell phone.

What is the carbon "shield/diffuser" or.... In front of the radiator?

Also the harmonic balancer looking thing in front of the water pump?

Sent from my new fangled Morse Code machine.

·
RRRRRR
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
Now that i have cleaned the drool off the cell phone.

What is the carbon "shield/diffuser" or.... In front of the radiator?

Also the harmonic balancer looking thing in front of the water pump?

Rad shroud works with fairings to direct all the air into the radiator.... Remember race bikes have no fans.
The other is external flywheel. Early factory works cranks had internal weight rings welded to the crank rings to add mass to them, to add weight and therefore increase traction off corners. But this was, of course, not adjustable without pulling motors and changing cranks. So later, like 2002 /2003 factory works WSBk motors (like this Eric Bostrom one) had. External flywheel added for similar effects, but the increased advantage of adjustable weights. Remember late works motors like this were often around 160hps.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow.
Thanks for that bit of insight.
Never really thought about bikes w no fan. But makes total sense.

The progressive development from internal weights on the crank to an external flywheel must have been a gift from the gods to the mechanics. Lol

I wonder if certain tracks favored a certain weight for better traction but may have held the bike back on certain portions of the track.
A big balancing act i would think.

Reactions: Spearzy
501 - 520 of 542 Posts