Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually the problem I'm having is my bike randomly will run .... I don't know how to explain it exactly......it doesn't sound like it's actually totally missing out on a cylinder.... Or even misfiring but it just runs a little off.... The exhaust note is harsher and it doesn't feel as smooth through the handle bars you can just tell something is slightly out of kilter....then it stops doing it and runs as smooth as ever.... It comes and goes without any obvious reasonDr

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Actually the problem I'm having is my bike randomly will run .... I don't know how to explain it exactly......it doesn't sound like it's actually totally missing out on a cylinder.... Or even misfiring but it just runs a little off.... The exhaust note is harsher and it doesn't feel as smooth through the handle bars you can just tell something is slightly out of kilter....then it stops doing it and runs as smooth as ever.... It comes and goes without any obvious reasonDr
Spark plugs?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Changed all the plugs..
If that's supposed to be a pic, it's not showing up.

Also, how many miles are on it and when was the last time the valve clearance was checked/adjusted?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Valve check couldn't do any harm.
Could be a few things really,
Carbs to inlet rubber tightened enough? Not a likey issue.
Exhaust header gaskets (would be more tappy like mine sounds like playing the spoons right now as I snapped a stud)
Exhaust link pipe gasket under the sump. I remember mine had no gasket just a tonne of sealant and it sounded like an aircraft.

It could a carb blockage.
Surging...is it trying to leave you behind without warning, say you shut off the throttle but it's still accelerating. Anything like that? Does the throttle snap back fast? Not trapped choke cable or anything like that?

Also check the wires to each ignition coil very carefully. Where they clip into the plastic on top of the engine they can vibrate and rub through maybe arcing. Heres a picture
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Wood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts