Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ZX11 17 inch front wheel for a front end swap on a 1986 Concours 1000 and the Pirelli Diablo radial tire on it is in great shape.

The stock rear wheel is 3.5 inch x 16 inch and I have already bought a Shinko 150/80/16 some months ago which I have yet to mount.

I imagine mixing radial and bias ply is not a good idea. Pirelli doesn't made a radial in 16 inch but Shinko does.

Here's the question: do I get a 17 inch bias ply front to match the new rear on hand or mix brands and get the Shinko 011 Verge radial and run the used Pirelli?

Is the handling all that different? TBH I used to ride like a lunatic on bias ply tires back in the day.:p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read up on the bias ply vs radial subject (which is what I should have done in the first place) and will switch to radials and either wrap and store for a future project or sell the new bias ply.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I must qualify my following opinion. it is 1:30PM on the Best Coast & Im three sheets to the wind after a few hours of drinking Absinthe, so please excuse my bluntness, but Chinese rubber absolutely SUCKS compared to revered brands like Pirelli, that have earned their reputations & bragging chops competing with the top tier, fighting it out in the trenches, on the BEST Moto stages in the world. Please do not trust your life to crap tires from China. Pirelli has always made a quality, high performance product, that always seems to over achieve the standard. (1st time I ever had my 81 900F lift its front tire, coming out of a flat, 30 mph right hand lean, was after a solid shift to 2nd, on Pirellis, Front & Rear)....

P.S. why is anyone talking about bias ply in the 21st century? Its RADIAL all the way Bay-Buh!! :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some bikes still come with bias ply (certain Harleys for one). Like spokes, they're apparently better for some applications.

I've mixed brands a bunch of times. Makes no difference if it's the same basic type (i.e. hypersport, touring). Those couple little rain groves not being the same aren't going to affect handling.

Blainethemoto is right on with his assessment of Chinese rubber. Though Shinko's are Korean their cheaper ones should rightly have the 'nk' in their name replaced with a 't.' You'll be replacing them in a month or two if you use the throttle much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only option to mount Pirellis f & r is to swap the stock rear wheel and brakes to 17.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must qualify my following opinion. it is 1:30PM on the Best Coast & Im three sheets to the wind after a few hours of drinking Absinthe, so please excuse my bluntness, but Chinese rubber absolutely SUCKS compared to revered brands like Pirelli, that have earned their reputations & bragging chops competing with the top tier, fighting it out in the trenches, on the BEST Moto stages in the world. Please do not trust your life to crap tires from China. Pirelli has always made a quality, high performance product, that always seems to over achieve the standard. (1st time I ever had my 81 900F lift its front tire, coming out of a flat, 30 mph right hand lean, was after a solid shift to 2nd, on Pirellis, Front & Rear)....

P.S. why is anyone talking about bias ply in the 21st century? Its RADIAL all the way Bay-Buh!! :p
Pirelli

·
6,802 Posts
I disagree bias ply is ever better. It's like the Harley guys saying it's no big deal that my bike is 900 pounds. It's BS. Bias ply is cheaper to make, baggers handle like crap from the factory so who needs a better tire anyways. All this from a guy (me) that has a Harley that runs "normal" size radial tires on his Harley Dyna.

Who the hell also thought it was a good idea to run a 100/90 tire on a 700 pound bike like what came stock on my Dyna with a 2.25" front wheel? Thank God I found a 3.25" front wheel so I could run a normal 120/70 front tire like most decent bikes run.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
keep in mind that different tires can have different cross sections, some are curved, some triangle and some flat on the centre line - (this is an over simplified explanation) so running different brands can effect handling in ways you might not expect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts