Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i have been riding now for a couple years and i really want to get into racing and/or track days, i have never done either one. i was wondering if there is any sponsorship type of deal to help afford it or are you on your own basically?

sorry if that sounds dumb lol im just curious

·
Registered
888 Posts
you would have to settle for paid session track days.

in terms of racing you would have to start with your own funds to enter yourself in a amateur race first. not sure what they call it in your area but in my area they call it a clubman race. If your good enough you can step up your game hiring pit crews, a multi purpose travel RV for a bike, backup bike, extra motor, and tools. spending lots of money for tires, and racing equipment in hopes to one day make it to the pro's as a sponsored athelete ;0

·
Registered
877 Posts
If I had my own company I wouldn't sponsor someone who's never even been on a track. If you're not willing to shell out some cash for tires and track time, it's probably something you shouldn't get involved in.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You would have to be a fast mofo and spend a lot of time at the track to get noticed as a fast rider. If you have never been to a track day or any race schools then you are on your own. No-one is going to sponsor any newbs that can't race and have no license to race or any history of wins at any track. So far you are just dreaming of grandeur. I have been to the track a lot here in Utah and i have passed all the race school classes but i have not gotten my amateurs race license and there are some serious racers out there that i can't even imagine racing as fast as these guys go. Also real racing is very physically demanding........You can't just jump on a bike and hang on. You have to really toss it around. I find that even after 4 hours of racing i am just beat up and physically worn out. Especially when it is over 90 degrees and you are in a 1 piece race suit. Do some track days. Sign up for a local sportbike club that offers a discount for signing up. Here i can take a super ART class with a track day for around $150-200 for the whole day of 3 class sessions and many track runs.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Racing can be a very expensive hobby. I'd start with track days, but a bike that's already set up for the track (its usually much cheaper that way than converting your own street bike), and just go to the track and have fun. Worry about racing later.
-Cody

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Like everyone else said, get some experience under your belt. Here in jersey you have to do track days and move up in group experience before you can even be considered for a race licence, then you have to pass the tests then you have to apply. It's dangerous out there, they don't want any joe shmoe entering a race. you need to know what you're doing

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Maybe you have some friends who do trackdays or you belong to a club that does them. Ask if you can go with someone for a single trackday. Don't bring your bike. You can help pit between riding sessions. There's lots to do. You can walk around the pits looking at everyone's equipment. You can take photos and videos. You can hang out by the fence and watch. You will prob be there from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. It doesn't cost much to go spectate during a trackday. Prob around 10 bucks. rather than spend $500.00++ on a trackday, you can find out firsthand if you want to go ahead and ride.

Don't ask your friend if you can ride his bike at the track while you're there. This is frowned upon. You need an arm/wrist band anyway. Your friend might get kicked out if the track manager finds out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
OHHH.. i forgot..

DIRT TRACK!!!!

many professional racers, and i mean many started out as a dirttrack racer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to the track this year and dont plan on trying to race in an actual race, i know im not going to get sponsored and i am willing/ready to fork out the cash on my own, like i said i was just curious how that worked, i know it isnt cheap or easy otherwise i would have done it by now :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and you guys were saying about racing clubs, i tried to look it up on Google to get some info but cant find anything but local riding clubs, is there a good website to find a club? or i live about 40 mins from chicago if anyone knows of a close one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
and you guys were saying about racing clubs, i tried to look it up on Google to get some info but cant find anything but local riding clubs, is there a good website to find a club? or i live about 40 mins from chicago if anyone knows of a close one.
dont confuse racing clubs for squid club's, patched up MC clubs that hang outs at the local hooters.
you'd have to attend a couple maybe more trackdays and maybe you will meet guys for track meets, etc. Sometimes your local motorcycle store will have info about group sponsored track days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont confuse racing clubs for squid club's, patched up MC clubs that hang outs at the local hooters.
you'd have to attend a couple maybe more trackdays and maybe you will meet guys for track meets, etc. Sometimes your local motorcycle store will have info about group sponsored track days.
haha trust me i wont confuse the two, and thats funny because i do work for my local motorcycle shop but not to many people like sportbikes around me it seems :crazyloco

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
haha trust me i wont confuse the two, and thats funny because i do work for my local motorcycle shop but not to many people like sportbikes around me it seems :crazyloco
Are you serious? How many million people live in and around Chicago? you guys have just come out of winter. It's riding season now, right? There must be several local sportbike forums on the net. There may not be a suitable roadracing track with a few hundred miles of you, though. I just don't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you serious? How many million people live in and around Chicago? you guys have just come out of winter. It's riding season now, right? There must be several local sportbike forums on the net. There may not be a suitable roadracing track with a few hundred miles of you, though. I just don't know.
i just dont know what your saying

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
ninja, I live south of milwaukee and am in and around chicago often for work.

There are many thousands of sport bikers in your area, I assure you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright im sure there is, but when i go out for a ride it is very rare for me to see a sport bike, then again i go away from the city not towards it, no need to get upset over it lol.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
yes sir

dosent mean i know what he means by this "There may not be a suitable roadracing track with a few hundred miles of you, though. I just don't know"
You are the Op who is asking about getting into racing. How do you do a trackday if there isn't a track near you? What is the name of the bike shop where you work btw?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are the Op who is asking about getting into racing. How do you do a trackday if there isn't a track near you? What is the name of the bike shop where you work btw?
o sorry now i see what he was saying, closest track according to google is 2 1/2 hours away wich isnt bad. and i work at highlands yamaha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts