Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Every motorcycle is a compromise of sorts, buy a cruiser and you can’t ride off road, buy something for the back woods and highway riding becomes uncomfortable. Erik Brinkman, an inventor and designer with IDS (Interactive Design Studios) in Victoria, British Columbia, thought about the problem and came up with the R-Bike, a shape shifting motorcycle.

The key to the R-Bike is the frame which has a scissor action built in. It can be changed from a stretched out cruiser to a standard to a high clearance off road bike whenever the rider finds it necessary.

The bike has a multi link suspension on both front and rear and is designed around a single cylinder engine. The seat, footpegs and handlebars all adjust as the frame shifts giving the rider the correct riding position for each style of bike. A nice feature is the ability for anyone to easily mount the bike with the seat in the lowest position and yet still have the ability of riding a high seat off road bike when the frame adjusts.

The bike only exists in the computer at the moment while they look for investors. According to the web site they plan to produce the first bikes in March of 2008.

This is an interesting design. It would be nice to see a prototype to evaluate how well it actually works. If they get the funding that will probably be first on their to do list. Neat.

Source: R-Bike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:"It would be nice to see a prototype to evaluate how well it actually works."
And that's the rub.
Do a search on Tony Foale for some ideas on bike steering.
gammac

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
That thing looks wild! I didn't see any "morphed" pics where it looked off road ready tho. Some of the ones on the site look badass. They are pricey, but not compared to the custom choppers.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
That's because they still don't exist.

Also, just to let everyone know, this thread is over 3 years old.
:headscratchThey had prices for them on the website. I noticed it was old...just thought maybe they had finally came out:dunno

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
i actually finished.... it was close to 63k... for a fuckin rolling piece of modern art

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well I'm not much on art I guess...unless it Playboy or something.

·
982 Posts
if i was a rich playboy id have one of them in my living room... its a nice piece of art... its function and form is crazy but classy... its weird in the fact that its not a motorcycle you would ride but would love to try out...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
It does look cool, I agree. I like those Confederate cycles too. Not as out there as this but way out there in a different way.

·
982 Posts
but you get what im sayin... you wouldnt own it to ride.... but if they tossed you the keys for a test ride you would piss your self

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Oh yeah, I agree with you completely. Just wouldn't buy one...unless I hit the lottery or some shit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts