Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every one im a zx6r rider and i am looking well trying to find a zx7 to buy. i would love to find a 00 because i love the body lines on that year or a 92 but my question is what are the hoses for on the tank the scare me lol well cuz i just don't understand what they do. and what would be a good price to offer for a 92 i found one and the guy is asking 3500 the fairing look good in the pic he has some after market parts as in now i know after market parts some time help bring up the price but the bike has 23k miles what would be a good counter price. any advice would be great
Yoshimura pipe, K&N filter, New Michellin tires, Pro Grip tank grip, Zero Gravity Light Green windshield

·
Registered
923 Posts
The "hoses" are called "Hoover tubes" They do nothing. Although their purpose was to "cool" the cdi's. 3500$ for a 92 with 23k is crazy. Id give em 1500 tops.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "hoses" are called "Hoover tubes" They do nothing. Although their purpose was to "cool" the cdi's. 3500$ for a 92 with 23k is crazy. Id give em 1500 tops.
ok cool thank you ok another question as i know nothing about this bike what is a CDI and what would happen if took the hoover tubes off and what would happen if i covered the holes or should i just leave them on

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just leave them on. I actually think they look cool but that is just me:)
well if i keep it stock i will leave them on but i was thinking of doing a cafe racer look to it but still not sure if get it and get it home my mind might change lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not much happens when you leave the hoover hoses off, I did a few race seasons with mine off (H model) and no problems. Funnily enough they eventually grew on me so now I have them on for looks lol
And yeah, those $$$ are too much for that model.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
If that 92 came with all original bodywork that did not need painted and was otherwise in pristine shape as well then $3500 isn't really too high.The original bodywork is now rare and hard to come by, so it's a seller's market for those pieces. To get it all painted professionally in the original scheme will cost at least $800.A running 1991-92 ZX7 is worth $1500 and expect that bike to need work and parts. A clutch is around $200 for all the parts. New tires will cost at least $200 for the set then you need them mounted and balanced. A new battery from Walmart is $57 plus the core charge. New brake pads will cost you roughly $90 in parts.A chain and sprockets is around $200 and up. A running $1500 project ZX7 will cost you way more than $1500. Just the parts I posted here plus labor to install or paint will run you up to $3500 quickly. If the bike you're looking at won't start because(as the seller claims) 1."the carbs need cleaned" or 2."The battery is dead so it won't turn over" then you're relying on the honesty of the seller. If you can't hear it run you have to assume the worst. That means plan on an engine rebuild. There went at least another $1,000 if the engine is toast. Or buy one off Ebay for $500 and hope that seller is honest and it runs. If in fact it just needs the carbs cleaned and you have a shop do it you can figure they will charge you 4 hours labor at whatever the local rate is. Around here it's $80 to $90 per hour depending on the shop. That's anywhere from $320 to $360 plus parts. If you're a good mechanic please ignore all the labor prices. If you're not then you either need to learn all this stuff eventually with your bike (which is very possible for anybody) or you'll spend a boatload of money quickly.

It is possible to stumble upon a pristine 1992 ZX7 but 99.9% of us haven't and never will. Whatever you buy just go into it with your eyes open as to what it could turn into.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the tubes are to cool the coils and to pressurize the area around the airbox since the opening is to the rear. Everyone loves a good hoes or two. I mean hose

·
Registered
117 Posts
If that 92 came with all original bodywork that did not need painted and was otherwise in pristine shape as well then $3500 isn't really too high.The original bodywork is now rare and hard to come by, so it's a seller's market for those pieces. To get it all painted professionally in the original scheme will cost at least $800.A running 1991-92 ZX7 is worth $1500 and expect that bike to need work and parts. A clutch is around $200 for all the parts. New tires will cost at least $200 for the set then you need them mounted and balanced. A new battery from Walmart is $57 plus the core charge. New brakes will cost you roughly $90 in parts.A chain and sprockets is around $200 and up. A running $1500 project ZX7 will cost you way more than $1500. Just the parts I posted here plus labor to install or paint will run you up to $3500 quickly. If the bike you're looking at won't start because(as the seller claims) 1."the carbs need cleaned" or 2."The battery is dead so it won't turn over" then you're relying on the honesty of the seller. If you can't here it run you have to assume the worst. That means plan on an engine rebuild. There went at least another $1,000 if the engine is toast. Or buy one off Ebay for $500 and hope that seller is honest and it runs. If in fact it just needs the carbs cleaned and you have a shop do it you can figure they will charge you 4 hours labor at whatever the local rate is. Around here it's $80 to $90 per hour depending on the shop. That's anywhere from $320 to $360 plus parts. If you're a good mechanic please ignore all the labor prices. If you're not then you either need to learn all this stuff eventually with your bike (which is very possible for anybody) or you'll spend a boatload of money quickly.

It is possible to stumble upon a pristine 1992 ZX7 but 99.9% of us haven't and never will. Whatever you buy just go into it with your eyes open as to what it could turn into.
Couldn't agree more, I've put more hours into mine than I've ridden it just getting it to where I want it. Then again, I'm kind of a perfectionist (I've repainted my gas tank twice!) and the relationship you develop with bike as you build it. Just make sure you have a decent set of metric sockets, allen keys, patience and the understanding that you will break something ; )

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks for the info guys te bike looks great as in prett good shape as well he is firm on 3500 so I'm still looking. I'm looking for a project bike so dontind if it's in super good show room shape just want something to tinker with until it what I want. So I'm still looking if u search Craig's list in SD you can find the add

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys well im am happy to say that yesterday i picked up a 01 ZX7 i will post pics later today. i picked it up Fresno CA and rode it back to LV what a fun ride just wish it was day light the hole trip but ohwell

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
ok guys well im am happy to say that yesterday i picked up a 01 ZX7 i will post pics later today. i picked it up Fresno CA and rode it back to LV what a fun ride just wish it was day light the hole trip but ohwell
Congrats on the buy and welcome to the club. Let's see pictures.:crazyloco

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i know it has taken for ever but here are the pics

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he is the info its a 01 when i picked it up from Fresno it had 17200 miles. things it needs first are brake pads, new rear tire, needs high beams, i need to figure why both front blinkers blink when i use the turn signal,and it needs back turn signals as their are none. what i will change on the bike out new grips as i dis like the one that our on it will be replacing the MGP exhaust for a muzzy and doing a sprocket change. then will get a fresh coat of yellow paint and black were it needs it then i will be looking for all the original decals any one now were i can find the decals at?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i noticed when looking for parts im some time asked if its Ninja ZX-7R ZX750P or Ninja ZX-7R ZX750P (CA) whats the difference

1 - 17 of 17 Posts