Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a decision to make VERY soon, like in the morning.

I ride a 1991 ZX-11 that has had some MAJOR issues that I have ironed out now. I've replaced nearly everything but the frame and wheels. I just overhauled the transmission and got it running VERY well now. No leaks or anything.

The decision: I was selected to be a sport bike instructor and need to go to California (near Sacramento) for the week-long class. I don't have a hitch on my car and I am supposed to leave Saturday morning. My choices are:

1. Try to purchase a hitch for my car (which I will never use again - I have an Astro van), install it, wire it up and load the bike into a trailer.

2. Load the bike into the Astro van (or rent the trailer and pull it there) and leave my other 7 family members stranded at home for a week, but they still have a good small car.

3. RIDE THE BIKE THERE. 740 miles.

I know someone that did 700 miles in one day on the same bike I have, but I believe that would be just too punishing. I'm 38 years old and I would like to know how far you have travelled comfortably. I would take 2 days, so 370 miles/day? Then I have to question the reliability of my bike... What's your opinion?

·
Registered
532 Posts
NUMBER 2 MATE! LOAD IN THE VAN!
Remember also that you might have a problem with the bike while there, and sitting 750 miles from home with no transport can be a problem.

Riding 370 miles per day is not so bad on that bike, I have done 550 miles just the other day on the ZX6R running it in, and I am 53 years old!, but that is not the biggest issue for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
for sure put it in the van that way its nice and dry and warm...well not that its a problem in CA but here in WA it gets a bit frigid and i concur with the gentleman prior to me in saying that its not good to be stranded away from home like that...i did 900 miles on a TLR from sacramento to almost the top of idaho but alas i am 23 a good 15 years younger and halfway in shape...

·
Registered
199 Posts
like they said, pull the van seats and load up the bike and get going!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.