Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just performed my first oil change on my 2012 ZX. I completely drained the oil by removing the drain plug as well as replaced the oil filter.

The manual calls for 4.2 liters if you replace the filter. Well, I emptied a 4L jug into the bike and when I went to look at the little oil window, I'm seeing either an empty window or a full window, but I can't tell for sure which. It does seem slightly brown in there, so I'm assuming it's too full.

But considering I didn't give it the full 4.2L, is that possible? Or is it more liked my eyes are tricking me and it is empty?

Lastly, if it is full, I'm guessing this means I need to pull the drain plug and let out a little at a time until the window looks good?

Note: all this was done on bike stands.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Stand the bike up while kneeling on the right, watch the level rise & fall as you carfully tilt the bike.

Have you run it to fill the dry filter yet? If not, DO so, let it sit a bit, then recheck.

Top it enough to get the oil fill level correct with the bike up & level

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stand the bike up while kneeling on the right, watch the level rise & fall as you carfully tilt the bike.

Have you run it to fill the dry filter yet? If not, DO so, let it sit a bit, then recheck.

Top it enough to get the oil fill level correct with the bike up & level
Have not run it yet. I'll run it for a minute and see what happens.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good work.:thumbup
Oil level should drop after you run it.
I'll bet it's between the lines after you shut it off, maybe even a bit low.
Suh-weet, good to hear. I'll go check it out when I finish my nice hot bath. Yeah, that's right... I said bath. :crazyloco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts