Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 ZX-6R, 100% stock...

Wanting to find out some basic info...

1. Whats best Tire Pressure to keep tires at? I ride mostly commuting type riding, but in the evenings I go out and there are quite a bit of roads around my area that are twisty and fun to take at speed, so I do not want a pressure thats so hard I have no traction.

2. I always hear about people changing their sprokets or something to get more grunt on the low end etc... Now I by no means want a wheelie machine, infact I am quite content with the tire never leaving the ground. I was wondering if making a small change ever so slightly in one direction, might give me a bit more on the low end, without a big sacrafice to cruising RPM's and top end.

Thanks.

- DgreJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am sure you will get a gazillion opinions on this subject so here is my .02 worth.

Tire pressure: Heated up to full temp you want to acheive 36psi. This might take a few tests to see where to start. Ambient temperature plays a huge role in this. When it is cooler outside, like on the way to work your pressures will be lower by default. But, by the time you go home with the heating of the day your pressures will be higher. I found through my own tests that when on the track to acheive 36psi I needed to start at 31psi. I have never tested what pressures I need to be at on the street to acheive the 36psi because I can't carry around a pressure gauge and an air compressor:nana

Sprockets: If you don't want to pull wheelies stick to the stock configuration and simply turn more RPM's

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tyre pressures is a very complex subject due to the differences in tyre compounds, ambient temps, type of riding that it is impossible to just say "So-much or so-much"

Like "zix" say, you will have to start experimenting on ideal pressures for certain conditions, and yes, everybody is going to give you a different opinion!!!

If you got the stock Bridgestones on, stick to about 32/34 front and 34/38 rear and you should be fine. For harder riding, or for softer rubber, you can drop about 2-4 lbs front and 4-6 lbs rear.

I run 2.2bar front and 2.1 bar rear (Yes, softer on the rear), on trackdays with Michelin Power Race (Soft Compound) but you will eventually find pressures you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the default Sprokets for the 07 6R?

and would going down 1 in front make a huge difference, or would it likely be more beneficial to just go up 1 or 2 in the back to get a slight increase in low end, without a big sacrafice in top end?

Thanks...

- DgreJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems like most go -1 +2 and are very happy.

As for top end do you often see max speed? If so than maybe another setup would be best but if most of your riding is in the City a -1 +2 is a nice setup.

As for tire pressure it depends on the tire and usage. On track days I will start with pressures below 30 psi on the street I am above 30 psi.

This guy has good deals on chain kits. AFAM and DiD are top quality.

http://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php

Also you will need a chain tool to do the swap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The majority of my riding is City and back country roads. I also do some small road trips, in the 200 to 300 mile range, so don't want to be cruising at an obscene RPM level the whole time.

I do however want a slight boost in low end, and I really should clarify that im not worrying about losing top end, im worrying about riding with really high RPM's all the time, so -1 +2 is probably a bit higher than I would want to go. I think max I would be looking at either -1 OR +1 or +2 in the back. But would like to hear from anyone who has done just one or the other, and what there results would be.

Thanks...

- DgreJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would try the -1 on the front first. -1 on the front is like +3 on the back. plus a front sprocket is way cheaper than a back sprocket.

·
Banned
528 Posts
i would try the -1 on the front first. -1 on the front is like +3 on the back. plus a front sprocket is way cheaper than a back sprocket.
yep that is true

·
Registered
81 Posts
What are the default Sprokets for the 07 6R?

and would going down 1 in front make a huge difference, or would it likely be more beneficial to just go up 1 or 2 in the back to get a slight increase in low end, without a big sacrafice in top end?

Thanks...

- DgreJ
stock sprocket is 16/43, i did -1 in the front. it helps out alot. if you do -1 in the front +2 in the rear you might have to change to larger chain..

·
Registered
63 Posts
tire pressure: I commute 110mi/day, 32/36 in the summer (gets hot in SoCal) 36/38 in the winter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts