Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fixing up an 86' ZX1000R Ninja

Hey guys,
So I have a few questions about some things that I am hoping to fix before this winter is out so I can just get right back to riding.

1. How often should one replace a speedo cable?

2. Towards the end of the season my front brakes would "jitter" a bit. I'm guessing that this is from brake-pad wear, so I will replace those. But is there anything else I should be aware of as far as motorcycle braking systems that would be far off from a car?

3. Wheres the best place for me to get an aftermarket windscreen for an 86' and do they come with "double bubble" or whatever they call it.

4. I need new chain and sprockets, the only thing I know to do right know is to order some (aftermaket cuz the OEM are like 900 bucks!) through the dealrship. Is there a less expencive or just plain better way to do this?

5. How often do I need to get my carbs Re-synced?

6. I know she's been repainted once before anyone know in general what it costs if one were to strip off all the parts that needed paint and take em in to get done? I got no gloss at this point and matte red just isn't getting me the girls!

That's all for now guys. I'm hoping to get Natasha runnin good and smooth. I'd love to keep this bike around forever, even when I do get myself something new. Something about an old carburated sportbike that's just fun.

Thanks for any advice that you guys can give! (If she's runnin smooth enough in the spring summer I'm lookin at doing a trip from Calgary Alberta to Portland Oregon and then over to at least Minnesota! So if anyones' along that general path (give or take a couple hundred miles) it'd be fun to hook up with some other Kwak fans!
Drew~

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are talking about a pulsing in the brake lever, jitter, that sounds like warped rotors. Unlike a car these can't be turned.

·
Registered
990 Posts
drewfus said:
1. How often should one replace a speedo cable?

2. Towards the end of the season my front brakes would "jitter" a bit. I'm guessing that this is from brake-pad wear, so I will replace those. But is there anything else I should be aware of as far as motorcycle braking systems that would be far off from a car?

3. Wheres the best place for me to get an aftermarket windscreen for an 86' and do they come with "double bubble" or whatever they call it.

4. I need new chain and sprockets, the only thing I know to do right know is to order some (aftermaket cuz the OEM are like 900 bucks!) through the dealrship. Is there a less expencive or just plain better way to do this?

5. How often do I need to get my carbs Re-synced?
Answer what I can but being in the UK I don't have the local knowledge to answer all.
1. Only if it breaks the inner. Usuall taking the inner out of the bottom of the cable & clean & grease is all it needs.
2. As above, check that they are not warped. Holding something next to the disc & spinning the front wheel is a quick check. Also check that everything is in place & correct on the caliper assemblies or you have not got a sticky piston. The seals deteriorate over time & can cause them to stick. The pads usually have a step/ridge as a wear indicator or measure how much friction material there is left.
3. I don't think there are any double bubbles available for the bike (not UK anyway) but there are flip screens, which are longer than standard with an extra bit at the top to 'flip' the air over you. Do a web search or ebay.
4. Try Ron Ayers http://www.ronayers.com/index.cfm
or again a web search for a chain & sprocket kit.
5. At each service or when they start to feel out of synch, if the clutch basket rattles badly at tickover that is a good indication they need doing. If you DIY then you can get the gauges from following:
http://www.carbtune.com/carbpric.html
http://www.calamander.co.uk/twinmax/twinmaxmk2.htm
Or whatever is available in Canada
HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allrighty well I discovered two interesting things about electricity today. I can only replace so many bulbs with LED's before this awful grinding noise comes from my bike... so we're going to leave it at brake lights and front turn signals methinks... :crackup

Also I found the reason my motorcycle kills. Where all the wires go into the back of the unit that I stick my key into there has been some twisted from twenty years of steering and one wire has been laid bare and is pretty much broken in half. If the wheel is straight it connects and thus no problems, but when I move the handlebars back and forth there are two points where it loses contact!

So now I've just got to get that little unit apart to see what there is to see inside and hopefully I can just pull the wire up a little bit and sneak it past the busted part, or I might have to resort to just putting a patch in there. But it's a huge relief to see that's all it is! There was nothing worse than coming up to a nice sweeping corner and getting down into it and having the bike start to stutter and kill and then roll-start itself, it was downright scary sometimes.

So one Item down and a few more to go... I think owning this bike is REALLY going to make me appreciate a nice fuel injected zx-something or other some day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allright, got the electrical dealt with, a few hours tracing wires was enough to make my eyes go buggy, but I made sure there all clean, re-wrapped them all with proper tape, checked all the sauder points and its' all good. So long as none of the components have internal breakdowns I'll be fine for another few years. Only ended up having one break, and a few wear spots so I made a good connection and used a bunch of sauder and fixed that up nice and tight and then used a heat shrink cover to seal it from corrosion.

Was surprised by how much play the wires had to have... lots of exposure and bending with the handlebars. Anyone have pic's or descriptions of some of the newer bikes, have they been able to clean a lot of that up???

O.k. So now I'm down to needing: New Windscreen, New brake rotors (I think, the pad's all have lots of wear left so I'm just waiting on a stand so I can spin the tires freely and check them.) and new Chain and Sprockets. Then I'll be ready for next season. excellent.

Oh, and some guy on E-bay is selling a bunch of fairings off for a bike just like mine with original decals and everything. I've written him twice to ask if he would be willing to cut a deal for the full set as mine have a few cracks and are a little warped but he won't reply!

Anyway that's an update. No Pic's sorry, my camera's on the fritz and won't focus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts