Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year I picked up my first streetbike, a '99 ZX-7R. And have been loving every minute of it. The summers here are short, only about 4 solid months of ridding a year. Anyway i just have a question.

Im kinda a newbie to the whole bike scene and i've had my bike for one season so far and no problems. I dont really know about the previous owner and how good he took care of the bike, or service history so I though I would take it into a local shop and get it checked for everything. That said, what exactly should i ask for? I think the brakes need checking, I'm pretty sure it needs an oil change. Other than that i dont know, i know it veers to one side sometimes so maybe and alignment? What should I ask for so I dont sound like a total noob. Even though I am.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well you got to do almost the same as a car spark plug check? chain cleaned, lubed? coolant check? as far as the swerving there's an endless amount of things it could be 1 wind 2 handle bar bent 3 tire flat or low and on and on

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the dealers in Alberta are anyting like the ones in Ontario, they won't be too much help. Your better off IMO asking around on the local forums to find a smaller shop that has a lot of experience with older bikes.

If you have specific issues, zxforums is a great knowledge resource as well as redmonkey.com/7r

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Get a service manual, read it front to back and back to front. Start with small items like changing the oil and get used to disassembling parts of the bike and reassembling them. These bikes are not difficult to maintain yourself, you just need to do it and pay attention to the way it came apart. The more you do, the more confident you will get and the more of the maintenance you will WANT to do yourself. If you get stuck, try the forums search feature and ask questions.
Dealers can be a disaster to deal with or they could be great to deal with, it depends on the dealer. Smaller shops (with good reps) are diamonds in the rough, hard to find. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Get a service manual, read it front to back and back to front. Start with small items like changing the oil and get used to disassembling parts of the bike and reassembling them. These bikes are not difficult to maintain yourself, you just need to do it and pay attention to the way it came apart. The more you do, the more confident you will get and the more of the maintenance you will WANT to do yourself. If you get stuck, try the forums search feature and ask questions.
Dealers can be a disaster to deal with or they could be great to deal with, it depends on the dealer. Smaller shops (with good reps) are diamonds in the rough, hard to find. Just my 2 cents.
Great advice.
Please google some reviews of the dealership you are considering getting some service done. Some dealers should be avoided at any cost !!!

If you do decide to take the bike in, take lots of pictures of your bike before you ride onto their lot. This is just insurance on your part.
Just get some regular service to see how the shop operates:
1. Oil & Filter change
2. Chain adjustment and lube
3. Brake and clutch cable adjustment
4. Check tire pressures and tread depth
5. You should probably change the air filter too
6. Ask them to road test bike and make any recommendations.

What you are trying to accomplish here is evaluate if the dealer is worth your business. You can do the above maintenance yourself eventually, but you are a completely new at this. The shop may charge you $250.00 out the door for the above service. You will be able to do this yourself for less than $75.00.

If they try suggest all the following like: new tires ($450.00), a valve adjustment ($500.00), new chain & sprockets ($450.00), new plugs ($150.00), wires, carb cleaning, syncing and rebuilding ($400.00), coolant hoses and coolant change ($250.00), brake pads ($250.00), new brake lines ($300.00).........get the picture?

You can save a real bundle by doing your own maintenance. And you will know IT's DONE RIGHT !!

You picked a great bike. The 7R is a Kawi cult classic & Icon. It really requires an owner that can learn how to maintain it himself or herself.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,368 Posts
Great advice.
Please google some reviews of the dealership you are considering getting some service done. Some dealers should be avoided at any cost !!!

If you do decide to take the bike in, take lots of pictures of your bike before you ride onto their lot. This is just insurance on your part.
Just get some regular service to see how the shop operates:
1. Oil & Filter change
2. Chain adjustment and lube
3. Brake and clutch cable adjustment
4. Check tire pressures and tread depth
5. You should probably change the air filter too
6. Ask them to road test bike and make any recommendations.

What you are trying to accomplish here is evaluate if the dealer is worth your business. You can do the above maintenance yourself eventually, but you are a completely new at this. The shop may charge you $250.00 out the door for the above service. You will be able to do this yourself for less than $75.00.

If they try suggest all the following like: new tires ($450.00), a valve adjustment ($500.00), new chain & sprockets ($450.00), new plugs ($150.00), wires, carb cleaning, syncing and rebuilding ($400.00), coolant hoses and coolant change ($250.00), brake pads ($250.00), new brake lines ($300.00).........get the picture?

You can save a real bundle by doing your own maintenance. And you will know IT's DONE RIGHT !!

You picked a great bike. The 7R is a Kawi cult classic & Icon. It really requires an owner that can learn how to maintain it himself or herself.
Basically, he posted the money-pit side of owning a bike. Nothing wrong with it, just covering all bases on that fact.

Yes, the 7r community is cult-ish and iconic. We still spank 600s for breakfast:crazyloco Any problems you may come across (Especially the P Model:runaway) We'll help ya diagnose and fix. Use the Search function to find a similar issue before posting a thread. We just hate that umpteenth post of "My bike doesnt run":squint

·
Registered
234 Posts
So last year I picked up my first streetbike, a '99 ZX-7R. And have been loving every minute of it. The summers here are short, only about 4 solid months of ridding a year. Anyway i just have a question.

Im kinda a newbie to the whole bike scene and i've had my bike for one season so far and no problems. I dont really know about the previous owner and how good he took care of the bike, or service history so I though I would take it into a local shop and get it checked for everything. That said, what exactly should i ask for? I think the brakes need checking, I'm pretty sure it needs an oil change. Other than that i dont know, i know it veers to one side sometimes so maybe and alignment? What should I ask for so I dont sound like a total noob. Even though I am.
When you find out about your bike veering to the right and what's causing it, please let me know! I'm having the same problem with mine, although 2 mechanics rode it and told me it's in my head, I can't shake the fact that it's indeed veering to the right. The mechanics checked my forks, and they're straight. I think it's a bent rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts