Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question....tuesday i was out for a little cruise and on the highway i felt it studder and hesitation so i reached down and move the petcock to the reserve side......it studdered a bit more then died.....i pulled over and could not hear any fuel in the tank....I had a nice 2 and a half mile push to the closest station...with i might add that about 6 weeks ago i dumped my bike, and received 2 fractures, a torn ligament, and torn tendon all on my left leg....(walking with a limp)....So it was definitely not a nice push to the station, anyhow my question is
what the hell happened to my reserve fuel? i know sometime last week i used my reserve side a bit, put some gas in it about 2 gallons switched it back to on, then next thing i know i am completely out of gas.....
I took my tank off thinking that maybe the reserve line was removed, but i am assuming everything is internal on the tank in regards to on/reserve selection via the petock since there was only one line attached to the petcock.....i know on all my quads and a few other bikes, there are two lines coming from the petcock...one the on, and the other the reserve......Any thoughts on this or info that i somehow havent figured out???? i do have a reserve right????
This is a 2001 zx6r j series.
thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I don't know about your specific bike but every kawasaki ( honda, suzuki, and yamaha) I've ever owned with a petcock one of those lines is a fuel line, the other is a vacum line. The vacum holds the petcock open. And since the vacum is only present when the engine is cranking it shuts off the fuel when the engine is stopped. Because the tank is above the carbs you need this to keep your float bowl at the bottom of the carbs from overflowing.

As far as a reserve tank there are not two tanks. When the petcock is in the normal setting the fuel is sucked through an opening in a pipe inside the tank that is several inches above the bottom of the tank. When the level of gas gets below the pipe you can't get any more gas without moving the petcock to the reserve position which takes gas off the bottom of the tank.

Most petcocks have a third position called Prime. This flows gas even without vacum and is used if the bikes been sitting along time and you want the bowls to fill up before trying to start the bike. Most primes feed off the reserve feed so if you were running on prime when ran out of gas and then turned it to reserve you would have nothing left.

You can see the two different level feed tubes in this diagram of a fuel petcock for a 2001 ZX-6R

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the image, that is pretty much what i was thinking. I just dont know why i had no fuel left when i went to reserve on the petcock. On my petcock i have only the three positions...on, off, and reserve.. none which are clearly labeled prime.
on the diagram above, on the longer tube, being the on side....it shows 2 peices, is it possible that the top half somehow came off causing it to be lower then the reserve side?
thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
.........is it possible that the top half somehow came off causing it to be lower then the reserve side?
thanks
That is what Im thinking.
I had the same thing happen to me.
Ran out of gas....no reserve.
I had forgotten about it till you posted this.

Im also now wondering if the "knob" is just
"spinning" on the post, maybe?
(stripped, loose screw?)
Well, no, there was NO gas in the tank.
(...thinking out loud)

This weekend Ill try to get some time to
pull the petcock to see.

Keep us posted if you find anything, as will I.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah most definitely will keep you updated, as soon as i run some of my gas down i think i will remove the petcock as well and see if i can find anything abnormal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i ran outa gas once and had to let it sit on reserve for about five minutes before it would start back up... thats a scary moment when you nose dive at full throttle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts