Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. What should i use to put the lower cases back together? Is High temp RTV ok? Im just worried about the crankshaft bearings and the very small tolerance. Is there something else i should use?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
You are looking for a "0" tolerance sealant. Mopar makes an anerbolic sealant that they use on the bedplates of some engines. I think it costs like $20. loc-Tite makes a sealer like it but I forgot what number it is.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ty for input. Hopefully i can find it at a local auto store as with work picking up for me and my buddy who does engines, tomorrow is our only day to do it so i cant order.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Ty for input. Hopefully i can find it at a local auto store as with work picking up for me and my buddy who does engines, tomorrow is our only day to do it so i cant order.
Good luck. I've not had luck finding it locally. Advance Autoparts and Napa have other stuff that works but it doesn't come off nearly as easily when you need to tear down again. When using this it is also is easier to split the cases versus the other brands. It kind of feels and acts like a rubber cement where the competition feels more like a bonding agent.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck. I've not had luck finding it locally. Advance Autoparts and Napa have other stuff that works but it doesn't come off nearly as easily when you need to tear down again. When using this it is also is easier to split the cases versus the other brands. It kind of feels and acts like a rubber cement where the competition feels more like a bonding agent.
If i cant get it in store, what else at Advance Auto would you recommend to use? Im nervous with the bearings being so tight tolerance.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Does it need to be applied sparingly or does it matter if i do it enough to be sure i wont have a leak?
Apply to parts mating surfaces(and both sides of gaskets). Coat all mating surfaces then let it sit for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes before adhering parts. This is to allow it to start to dry. When you put the parts together do it in an even and deliberate manner. Once the gasgacinch contacts the other part you can't pull it back apart, so make sure of your alignment.It is applied in a thin even coat.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Another option is Indian Head, which may or may not be the same stuff just rebranded Edelbrock.

Josh

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys. Ill call store early in morning and make sure they have it.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How's your progress?
Couldn't find that anywhere without having to order. Ended up getting something else from local part store. Got the halfs together, got oil/alt chain on. Just gatta find a 15mm circlip before i can put clutch basket in.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Couldn't find that anywhere without having to order. Ended up getting something else from local part store. Got the halfs together, got oil/alt chain on. Just gatta find a 15mm circlip before i can put clutch basket in.
You're making forward progress. That's the important thing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I see I'm a little late to the game, but recently put together my cases using ThreeBond 1211 sealer based on many recommandation I could find on various sites. You definately dont want to overdue it with the sealant. When you split the cases you can see Kawi did not use a lot of the Kawibond from the factory. THe most critical area to not overdue it is around the oil passages near the crankshaft. You seal one of those up and you'll be opening it back up in short time.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
never heard of a 0 tolerant sealant before... seems to me the thinner the sealant, the worse it is... the shop i buy my parts from suggested permatex ultra grey to me and its worked just fine for the past year

1 - 17 of 17 Posts