Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many posts on this forum about how much extra low-end and mid-range power can be unleashed with this mod, but is there a down-side to having that kind of power available all the time?

I'm all for extra power (and I do find the bike lacking between 3-5K rpm), but has anyone had bad experiences in the wet or on cold tires? My rear tire breaks loose quite easily with the flies IN (wet or dirty pavement), so I'm a bit concerned about control problems with the flies out. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,205 Posts
Pulling the 'flies doesn't make any more horsepower, it just makes the connection between the twistgrip and the go more direct. Sort of like the difference between a CV carb and a flatslide. With the 'flies in, the actual throttle opening is controlled electronically. On later models, the opening curve was electronically altered which makes pulling the flies less effective.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cold or wet tires is always a concern on this beast, secondary flys or not. I removed mine a cannot be happier! I've read people feel like they lose "drivability", I don't feel that way at all! The gains are amazing, having a direct reflection between the throttle grip and your power band is an amazing feeling...feels like a whole new machine. If you're not interested in 0-top speed as quick as possible, don't remove them...if you want all the power, all the time regardless of RPM's, set those butterfly's free! BEST MODS IMO is flys out and 16t front sprocket(SpeedOHealer to calibrate and remove top speed regulator)...and I topped off those mods with a custom map from "JEFFO", me personally, I could not be happier, I definitely could not go back to a "flys in" config again...would not enjoy it at all. If you do it, remember, RESPECT your bike, she will be a monster!!! My two cents!

·
16,062 Posts
I wonder if pulling the secondary valves out, makes as much diference in throttle response, through the entire power spectrum,
as it does, increase intake decibels.

And "lacking" in the 3-5k range? On a 14?
I take it you are doing hardcore 1/8 and 1/4 mi runs at the track, to have such high standards.

·
Registered
141 Posts
And "lacking" in the 3-5k range?
As a matter of fact I did! Not anymore though! And I think it's a general feeling amongst many riders, that's why there is a sticky thread showing play by play removal of the flys...

·
16,062 Posts
Yeah, I know that pulling them on an 06-07, makes a difference.
It just always sounds funny to me when people say the 14 needs help with power or performance.
Just me.
I can't ever imagine saying, "eh, it's a good bike, but could use a little help in the 3-5k range". :lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
I pulled the flies, put on a set of pipes and a power commander when the bike had about 6000 miles on it. I've got about 37000 miles on it now (mostly sport touring the pacific northwest) and I wouldn't go back to stock. It really doesn't deter from the bike's ridability. It just gives you a bit more grunt at the lower rpms. If anything it gives the bike a more linear power curve. It doesn't come on so hard at 6 - 7000 rpms, it comes on more evenly throughout the rev range. You definitely have more torque down low but it's not something that makes the bike less ridable. You will notice the difference when you do it but you will grow used to it in no time at all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I had my zx12 I took a stock 14 for a test drive.I said why would I get rid of my 12 for this.a yr later I test drove mine with the flies out,wow what a difference, wasn't long trading in the 12.would never go back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
two words.... throttle control.

I have driven mine land speed, track days, drag strip, and 13k on the street in all weather except ice/snow. Flies helped the low end feel better at the throttle. Tires do slip more in the cold weather but can be controlled. In the rain I drive very gentle and bike never slipped once. Its all about contorlling the throttle and learning how the bike reacts to situations. I had it break loose at the strip the other night in 2nd while pulling the front end... that was hairy but turned out well..... thankfully

Either way have fun riding!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bottom line, zx14's aren't "safe", motorcycles in general aren't "safe", choose a level of responsibility which corresponds to your level of experience, and it can be "safer"; flys in or out.

"With great power comes great responsibility!"

·
16,062 Posts
I agree. kinda silly, if you think about it.
Buy a ridiculously powerful hypersport,
then want to mod for MORE power,
but concerned about safety :headscratch
Not trying to mean here,
but seriously, think about it for a second.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Lol, it's like buying a bottle of Crown Royal, and being concerned with getting drunk! Or banging a hooker, and worrying about catching something...or....never mind...you get it!
:crazyloco:thefinger:rofl

·
16,062 Posts
HA!

Or, like ordering a big ol', 2 lb, fat bitch bacon burger with chesse,
then, saying it's still a little lacking,
so, you ask for extra cheese and some gravy to pour on it.....
than ask,
"I don't have to worry about having a heart attack if I get extra cheese, do I?"
:lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Or tugging on Batmans cape , then asking why he bitch smacks you!?!?

·
16,062 Posts
I'm gonna stop now.

I don't want people to think I'm a dick :rolleyes

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Or go pissin in the wind.Wasn't that a Jim Croche song in the seventies?I took my flies out for the extra torque from 3-5 grand.I mean it wasn't a dog like a honda or harley,oops.But I was very happy and got a flies out map.It did get lean so get a map.I have two Brocks maps that say no flies.When it warms up I'll tell the dynotuner about the flies.Can't wait for that.
Craig

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are many posts on this forum about how much extra low-end and mid-range power can be unleashed with this mod, but is there a down-side to having that kind of power available all the time?

I'm all for extra power (and I do find the bike lacking between 3-5K rpm), but has anyone had bad experiences in the wet or on cold tires? My rear tire breaks loose quite easily with the flies IN (wet or dirty pavement), so I'm a bit concerned about control problems with the flies out. Any thoughts are appreciated.
'06-07 ZX14s are pretty bad on the low end due to the secondary throttle valves (butterflies). Yank 'em and you'll have a different bike (for the better). Throttle response will be better. You just have to remember they're not there so don't whack the throttle open. It will GO NOW!!

I pulled mine on my '09 ZX14SE. Even though Kawasaki has reprogrammed mine to open quicker, I still yanked 'em. I like the way the bike performs without them.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts