Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just purchased a 05 636 about 3 weeks ago now and im fiddling with it now. So I let it idle for about 30 mins and noticed my temp gauge peak at 220*. Also i see that when I rev the motor lights get brighter...so does that mean I need a stator for it?? bike has 2400 miles on it. I heard that the 05s had a bad batch of ECUs/ CDI boxes and or the under tail muffler is cooking the ECU making it short out to cause the bike to stall out randomly like it has happened to me this past weekend. I happened to notice that the oil filter is leaking which is weird. so IM going to replace that to see if the leaking goes away. Anyone know what napa oil filter to use?? What else should I look for on my bike? IM also going to do the following: make my own GP pipe to 1. make some noise(bike is to quiet for me), 2. get rid of the heat that is coming from the under tail muffler away from the ECU hoping my stalling out issue would go away. I will ofcourse add a powercommander to accommodate the air flow increase along with a k&n air filter. I did some research best I can I just want to get a definite answer from live guys to guide me through my little issues with the bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Congrats on the bike.

Not sure where the bike is being kept (outside, garage, etc) But if its in doors and you leave it to sit for 30 minutes warming up (seems like a long time). It will warm up and get up there in temp. 220* isn't that bad but a tad high. Have you checked coolant levels?

does the bike have stock halogen bulbs? or HIDs?

If you have the stock exhaust and head shields the ecu should be okay, this issue happends a lot from those who get aftermarket exhaust and use no heat shield. Still some have this issue. if you arent having this issue then you should be fine for now.

Oil filter leaking? try tightening it and see if that makes it stop. If not put a new one on and see. Don't know what nappa oil filter. I use a K&N oil filter. about ~$10 at cycle gear. Some use various types of oil filters so the choice is yours.

If you're putting a new exhaust on that elimites the cat then you will need the power commander and a tune, if not then you wont need it, but wont hurt.

the revs gets brighter thing i'm curious on two....

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Pics!!?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Mdeezy.I know you got some pics for the 2K clear thread?!

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Congrats on the bike.

Not sure where the bike is being kept (outside, garage, etc) But if its in doors and you leave it to sit for 30 minutes warming up (seems like a long time). It will warm up and get up there in temp. 220* isn't that bad but a tad high. Have you checked coolant levels?

If you have the stock exhaust and head shields the ecu should be okay, this issue happends a lot from those who get aftermarket exhaust and use no heat shield. Still some have this issue. if you arent having this issue then you should be fine for now.

Oil filter leaking? try tightening it and see if that makes it stop. If not put a new one on and see. Don't know what nappa oil filter. I use a K&N oil filter. about ~$10 at cycle gear. Some use various types of oil filters so the choice is yours.

If you're putting a new exhaust on that elimites the cat then you will need the power commander and a tune, if not then you wont need it, but wont hurt.

+1
Flush the coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
My lights get brighter when rev as well, but I dont think its any type of a problem. Iv'e seen the same thing in cars and truck too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the site.

Congrats on the bike.

thanks for the immediate response guys:clap.

well the bike is kept indoors but it was in the mid 30s and I wheeled it outside. I let it idle to get the fluids moving if you know what I mean. I dont like things sitting for a long time. coolant was flushed, oil changed before I bought it. the bike is completely stock other than clear green lens and rear fender delete.

Bike has stock halogen bulbs.

Im keeping the stock cat/header on there just unbolting the tail midpipe- rear undertail can. Im going to have a FI light come on so thats a given.

I know when cars lights are dim at idle and when they rev up lights get brighter it means they need an alternator soon. so thats why I made the assumption I may need a stator

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
I know when cars lights are dim at idle and when they rev up lights get brighter it means they need an alternator soon. so thats why I made the assumption I may need a stator
:headscratch
Well, I never really though of it like that.
I've had my 05 for about three years now, well this will be the third riding season anyway. Havent had any issues with it.

:fingersex
Hope for another three

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:headscratch
Well, I never really though of it like that.
I've had my 05 for about three years now, well this will be the third riding season anyway. Havent had any issues with it.

:fingersex
Hope for another three
hmm weird. i hope I dont have an issue with mine concerning the dim light. well see when this season comes though.

·
11,782 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.

With only 2400 miles on the bike, I highly doubt you've got any issue with the ecu. The problem comes from long periods of excessive heat. I know, I've been there and replaced my ECU last year (stock exhaust, by the way...just a lot of commuting style riding).

You shouldn't let your bike idle for that long without it having air moving through the radiator and across the motor. 5-10 minutes is more than enough to get the fluids moving...then ride it to get the rest of the motor to temp. And considering how long it was idling without moving, 220 isn't that bad.

And the lights dimming when you let off the throttle, normal. Every bike I've ever had has done it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeh i was thinking the same I did have it idling for a long time. Im going to take my under tail off any way and make my own GP pipe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to make a gp pipe with a baffle in it to get rid of the heat from under the tail and make my own servo buddy to get rid of the FI light. I'm picking up a power commander this Friday along with a k&n air filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts