Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Project ZXR750R K1

5K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  carsonr6 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum after buying this:

It’s my first Kawasaki apart from a KX250 when I was young.

The bikes in decent condition bodywork wise and it’s been laid up in dry storage for at least 5 years.
Throttle slides are seized and it’ll need the normal fluids, brakes, fuelling and consumables looking at but I can’t wait to start the project.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!

I saw your post on Facebook! Good score man! Lots of knowledge here. This place can be slow to respond at times so don't get frustrated if you have any questions and it takes a while to get a reply. Most of us have been here over 10 years.

We need more pics!

#3 ·
Welcome!

I saw your post on Facebook! Good score man! Lots of knowledge here. This place can be slow to respond at times so don't get frustrated if you have any questions and it takes a while to get a reply. Most of us have been here over 10 years.

We need more pics!

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

No doubt I’ll have loads of questions. First purchase will be a workshop manual I think.

I’ll post some more pictures when I collect it. I made a mad rush to see the bike before going on holiday as I didn’t want to miss out on it.

#13 ·
Reactions: carsonr6
#14 ·
Figures you're in the UK. Those guys take great care of their bikes over there. The secondhand market is superb in the UK. Lots of clean late model bikes.

Reactions: carsonr6
#17 ·
Ordered some gasket kits for the carbs and started to strip the bike to get to them.

I’m starting to really like this bike, much nicer to work on that the R1.

I want to get some oil down the bores and round the engine before I start turning it for the valve clearances.

#20 ·
Started doing the valve clearances and one needs adjusting.

I’ll order up the right size shim and get it changed out but that’ll need to wait.

The carb kits arrived today and I can have a look at stripping and cleaning them when I’m back from work

#26 ·
I was confused for a second there too! Definitely bucket and shim....no need to remove cams to adjust just slide rocker to side, magnet to remove the shim from top of the bucket. The ends are the most difficult especially the left side. The usual way of measurement with the cam lobe opposite the shim is not the recommended method per the manual and will lead to slightly different results I found.

#28 ·
I DID follow the manual which is NOT the USUAL way of measuring valves.

Typically you would turn the cam lobes to where they point opposite the shims. The Kawi manual says to turn the cams to a specific point and measure half the valves then turn to another specific point and measure the rest.

I had expected anything off the lobe to measure the same but it did not and I confirmed many time across 2 bikes.

#29 ·
No really managed to get much done with this. I did manage to get it run up quickly which confirmed that the carbs were gummed up:

Bit smokey to say the least!
Carbs were whipped off and sent off for refurbishment and are now back looking very fresh indeed:

Also managed to pick up a rather nice Micron Carbon can that’s new old stock

Hopefully I’ll get some time to put it all back together soon and see how it runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.