Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Oh crap. Clearly I have not had a ZX7 on the road in years. Yes, I screwed up, they still use shims. Slide the rocker over and swap them. Damn do I feel dumb. I've been playing with so many other bikes.

I was confused for a second there too! Definitely bucket and shim....no need to remove cams to adjust just slide rocker to side, magnet to remove the shim from top of the bucket. The ends are the most difficult especially the left side. The usual way of measurement with the cam lobe opposite the shim is not the recommended method per the manual and will lead to slightly different results I found.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I was confused for a second there too! Definitely bucket and shim....no need to remove cams to adjust just slide rocker to side, magnet to remove the shim from top of the bucket. The ends are the most difficult especially the left side. The usual way of measurement with the cam lobe opposite the shim is not the recommended method per the manual and will lead to slightly different results I found.
If the way the manual states isn’t the right way to measure them then what is?

I DID follow the manual which is NOT the USUAL way of measuring valves.

Typically you would turn the cam lobes to where they point opposite the shims. The Kawi manual says to turn the cams to a specific point and measure half the valves then turn to another specific point and measure the rest.

I had expected anything off the lobe to measure the same but it did not and I confirmed many time across 2 bikes.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
No really managed to get much done with this. I did manage to get it run up quickly which confirmed that the carbs were gummed up:

Bit smokey to say the least!
Carbs were whipped off and sent off for refurbishment and are now back looking very fresh indeed:

Also managed to pick up a rather nice Micron Carbon can that’s new old stock

Hopefully I’ll get some time to put it all back together soon and see how it runs.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.