Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK…have to vent!

About three weeks ago bought a 2007 ZX-14 sorta on impulse. Got motorcycle insurance on-line from Progressive Direct as soon as I got home (my auto/home insurance company dosen't do bikes).

The quote was $999 for one year for the coverage I requested.

The on-line process was straightforward and required that you report any violations/accidents etc.; the information provided is then compared electronically to your state driving record. I reported one accident and no other violations and/or incidents; that information apparently checked-out. I paid the premium in total with my credit card.

Today I received a revised quote from Progressive for $2,661! The notice gave no specific reason for the revision. I called Progressive and asked why? A real person picked-up the phone right away and was very polite. I asked my question and was put on hold for about 15 minutes while they “researched” the issue. They claimed the revision was due to the fact that I reported the bike as a streetbike/sportbike and that they consider it a “high-performance” motorcycle, hence the increase.

Since I can not afford that much for insurance, I requested cancellation. They said I would receive a refund of 90% of the pro-rated amount of the policy and that it might take 7 to 10 days to process the cancellation. So for essentially no risk on their part, I’m out $150.

I then went to an “other” insurance company and got an on-line quote. The “other” insurance company site also checks your state driving record, but has you specifically enter the year, make and model of the bike. The quote (same coverage amounts as with Progressive) was $831. I then called the “other” insurance company and spoke with a representative who verified all the information I had entered on their web site and then sent me an email indicating the information that had been used to substantiate the quote and that the quote would not be revised.

I don’t know if what Progressive did is legal (I’m checking), certainly doesn’t pass an ethics test. I specifically didn't name the "other" company cuz I didn't want this to sound like a commercial.

Just thought my experience might help some of you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so out of curiosity (i'm looking into changing my ins. company as well), who is this mysterious "other" company??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have progressive for the mean time till i switch to rider insurance. it was like 200 for 2 months from progressive and at the time they were the only company that would insure with out a motorcycle license. but in a couple weeks ill have RIDER Insurance which is going to cost me 870 for the year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have geico and it's only 470 for full coverage for the year, 500 deductable and clean driving record,31 years old...

·
Registered
3 Posts
AAA saved me big $$

I went through AAA insurance because I wanted full coverage for everything under the map! All the other companies were asking for 12,000 and more!! That'z crazy! But AAA gave me full coverage and charged me less then 2500 for the year! So I can total my bike, get it stolen...and have a new one with no problem :afro :crazyloco

·
Registered
200 Posts
not a fan of progressive; i was quoted $5,000 / year for a 98 zx6 and an 07 gsxr 600.

got the same insurance from state farm for less than $800 a year.

i was told by progressive that once my wife and i had our moto endorsement for 3+ years, then we would get a discount. 3 years at $5K, yeah right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont mean to make ya'll sick, but i pay $125 a year for full coverage on my zx11. and $229 for my latest find. a 2003 Ducati 750. No tix, no accidents, and 39 y.o. Thru Progressive since Farmers doesnt offer cycle coverage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts